Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Crafts for the Holidays Challenge Day 2: Build a House

Posted by   + Show Post

Gingerbread houses are a classic holiday craft! Since I didn't have gingerbread in my house, we made a graham cracker house instead. It was a good substitution and easy to work with.

Materials needed:
Gingerbread or graham crackers
Icing
A piece of cardboard
Miscellaneous candy

I started by putting icing on the piece of cardboard as my foundation (I wanted to make sure the sides stayed up so I used a small tissue box and attached the sides to that). After sides were on we made the roof.

Once the house was standing my 3 year old and 18 month old took turns decorating the house. This craft is great because kids of all ages can get involved!

Did you ever make gingerbread houses as a kid? Is it something that you usually do with your kids around the holidays?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it hereIf you haven't signed up for the Crafts for the Holidays Challenge yet, you can do so here.

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Replies (71-79):
SarahSuzyQ
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM

We added a bit of cream of tartar to our frosting, which helped it to harden right up... My son loves this!

SarahSuzyQ
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

We used marshmallows and sprinkles to make the little guys...

SarahSuzyQ
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM

My son's gumdrop snowman.

liss05
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

My 8yo would love to do this.

LifeCafe42
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM
I was thinking of doing this today
Flaca43
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM

We never made them as kids, but I started doing them with my children last year and you reminded me to do it again this year! I better get a move on!

abbysmommy429
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM
We did our house and it fell, but DH and the kids had a blast building and eating the house!!! Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollinicole
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM
We made a paper one this year as I could not find one that was allergy free for DD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommieof1b4g
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM

i hate these things lol. we tried making one once. epic disaster

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)