Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!! 3yr old is off the chain!!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM
  • 8 Replies
My 3 year old son has such a fun personality...and is so sweet when HE wants to be! The past couple of weeks his behavior has taken a horrible turn for the worst. He hits and kicks and throws fits...he screams bloody murder and throws his toys and absolutely destroys his room. I want my sweet fun playful little boy back. I am remarried and have recently allowed my husband to participate in his discipline. My son goes to his dads 2 days a week and he lets him do whatever he wants. I'm so overwhelmed and feel like a failure! Please help!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PEEK05
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Is the discipline different between you and the new husband?

amonkeymom
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Hi there.  Sounds like a pretty typical toddler to me. 

Congrats on your new marriage!

Quoting EthansFabMom:

My 3 year old son has such a fun personality...and is so sweet when HE wants to be! The past couple of weeks his behavior has taken a horrible turn for the worst. He hits and kicks and throws fits...he screams bloody murder and throws his toys and absolutely destroys his room. I want my sweet fun playful little boy back. I am remarried and have recently allowed my husband to participate in his discipline. My son goes to his dads 2 days a week and he lets him do whatever he wants. I'm so overwhelmed and feel like a failure! Please help!!!!!

EthansFabMom
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Thank you! Yes we follow the same discipline guidelines. I know it won't change overnight but I just don't know the best way to handle it.
corrinacs
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Talk to him about what's bothering him.  Perhaps somethign is going on at his dad's.  Also, speak to his dad about teh "rules" of his house.  Make sure that he has some and let him know of the behavior problems you have noticed :/.  Hopefully he listens to this and takes a stand against it.

But beyond that, when you pick him up from your dads, you need to be clear about your rules and expectations, and spend a little extra time with him.  Talk about what he did and go out for icecream or something.  Just sounds like he may need a "break" between both houses.

EthansFabMom
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM
That's great advice! Thank you. Unfortunately his dad is not on board with the discipline...he tries to make our son a victim. It's unfortunate but Ethan will need to realize that when he's at mommy and David's house that behavior will not be tolerated. I was also thinking about trying to structure his days as if he was in school. Any thoughts on how that idea may help or not help? Thank you so much for responding!!
.Angelica.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

bump

MommysTimeOut5
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

They always talk about the terrible two's but no one talks about the HORRIBLE three's. I wish you the best of luck and just keep being firm and letting him know he cannot get away with things he does at his father's house. 

EthansFabMom
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Well...I knew it was coming, but I had a complete break down...pretty pathetic. Ipicked my son up from his dad in Pensacola, and found out he had McDonald's Monday night, yesterday, AND TODAY!!!! All the hard work and money spent to keep him on a very healthy well balanced diet gets ruined every week. Not to mention I have to retrain my child every week also...sheesh I'm a bit overwhelmed. Thank GOD for my wonderful husband who is always there to comfort me and encourage me!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)