Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Semi-OT: I will NOT be switching to a family doctor.

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am NOT switching to the family doctor I wanted to try out closer to home since we don't have any pediatricians out here. For one, they weighed and measured us all which is fine but then the family doctor had the audacity to tell me that I have gained TOO much weight this pregnancy when I am only up 13 pounds at 30 weeks!!! Um that is NORMAL!!! Not low, not high! As I was leaving though, she told me I don't look like I am due in two months. Oh and she said that my 19 month old is WAY too small for his age and that he needs to gain weight and grow in height. Um....... his growth chart looks perfect. He always rides the same small line but on the chart by age, it's at an increase showing that he IS growing, even if he remains in the same percentile. He is 20 pounds and 32" at 19 months, 1 week. Needless to say, I will remain without a doctor unless I need to be seen (except for OB) and my kids will stay with their pediatrician after that awful appointment. Only my daughter turning 4 in February got flying colors.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

wow. I don't think i'd be going back to that doctor either. it's bad but i only really go for myself when pregnant. lol

PEEK05
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Same here lol. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

wow. I don't think i'd be going back to that doctor either. it's bad but i only really go for myself when pregnant. lol

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

unless i'm really sick with something I can't treat at home i see no point in going. lol I only take the kids to well checks because I like having them weighed and measured and for them to know their doctor, and him to know us for if we ever do need him. though the kids doctor is really nice.

Quoting PEEK05:

Same here lol. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

PEEK05
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I'm thinking about skipping well checks after Isabella is born. I weigh and measure them monthly at home to record in their baby books and we aren't doing vaccinations, and I'm tired of driving 30 minutes to their appointments for a 5 minute appointment since they are always on track with everything.  If I was ever concerned about anything medically or developmentally, of course I'd take them in, but the well checks are really starting to sound less and less necessary.

Quoting .Angelica.:

unless i'm really sick with something I can't treat at home i see no point in going. lol I only take the kids to well checks because I like having them weighed and measured and for them to know their doctor, and him to know us for if we ever do need him. though the kids doctor is really nice.

Quoting PEEK05:

Same here lol. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah. we pay for insurance so we might as well use it. lol but our doctor is like 30 blocks down the road.

Quoting PEEK05:

I'm thinking about skipping well checks after Isabella is born. I weigh and measure them monthly at home to record in their baby books and we aren't doing vaccinations, and I'm tired of driving 30 minutes to their appointments for a 5 minute appointment since they are always on track with everything.  If I was ever concerned about anything medically or developmentally, of course I'd take them in, but the well checks are really starting to sound less and less necessary.

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting PEEK05:

Same here lol. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

PEEK05
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Yeah that's why I wanted to try this family doctor here but yeah, did not turn out like I had hoped haha.

Quoting .Angelica.:

yeah. we pay for insurance so we might as well use it. lol but our doctor is like 30 blocks down the road.

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting PEEK05:

Same here lol. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

i stopped well checks with ian from 9 months until 4 years old. we stopped vaccinating at 6 months and the 9 month appointment his doctor was NOT happy and i just didnt want to hear it again. lol. then we went at 4 cause i was wanting to find a doctor to list as hailey's doctor for insurance purposes.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yeah that's why I wanted to try this family doctor here but yeah, did not turn out like I had hoped haha.

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting PEEK05:

Same here lol. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

PEEK05
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

How did the doctor react when he went back?

Quoting .Angelica.:

i stopped well checks with ian from 9 months until 4 years old. we stopped vaccinating at 6 months and the 9 month appointment his doctor was NOT happy and i just didnt want to hear it again. lol. then we went at 4 cause i was wanting to find a doctor to list as hailey's doctor for insurance purposes.

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting PEEK05:

Same here lol. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

momdays
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would dread having to leave our pediatrician. I have my own family doctor, who I rarely see, and my OB. Then my son has his pedi. I like it that way. Sorry you had to go through that.

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

at 4 years old? It was a new doctor. she didn't mention the fact that we hadn't been in so long, and questioned us on the vaccinating thing, but overall she was "okay" with us refusing them. I didn't really like her but she was MUCH better than his original doctor. Then MIL learned that the chiro we were seeing had the same insurance as us and weren't vaccinating and loved their doctor so I scheduled hailey's first appointment with him and he's been great!

Quoting PEEK05:

How did the doctor react when he went back?

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting PEEK05:

Same here lol. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)