Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Older sibling new baby...

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 10 Replies

What are some of the why's you have or would introduce a new baby to the family? How did your older child react to the new baby??

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I don't understand the first part...

CampClan
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM
I had my parents bring them to the hospital when I was in my room. With my 2nd child my oldest couldn't because baby was in NICU for 2 weeks but as soon as I was told I could have my overnight with baby in my own room big brother was there!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JaymieZ
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Sorry way's to introduce a new baby not why's.. lol

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Ohhhh, is it supposed to say "ways"?  Darn autocorrect!

We brought my son to the hospital later in the morning after my daughter was born.  He was just shy of 2 years and 8 months old.  He was skeptical at first but then loved her when she came home and brought him a new scooter and helmet!  He was great with her until she started moving around.  She's 3 1/2 now and he's 6 and they are great friends.

The rest of the family met my daughter at various times over the next week or so.

sadiebug1228
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

i let my son come to some of the ultrasounds and he was very excited about the new baby. and then after she was born he came up to the hospital and saw her, he instantly fell in love. when we brought her home he loved to help so i let him when i could, he got to help change diapers and i gave him a job of throwing the diapers away for me. he was and still is amazing with her he was 3 when she was born and hes now 4 and shell be 1 on the 28th :) he loves to help feed her and he goes in her room and talks to her when she wakes up and i cant get to her right away. hes the best big brother ever! i couldnt have asked for a better kid to be a big brother!

Gweneveer
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:36 AM

My kids have 3.5 yrs between them.  I talked to my oldest about the new baby coming.  All the time.  I got her involved in pretty much everything, right down to the name choice.  

She stayed with my parents when we were at the hospital.  I had the new baby give her a gift when she came to visit.  She was prepared for her new sister, and was such a huge help!  We never had jealousy issues or much of an adjustment period.  They were in love with each other from the start!

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM

my son was just over 4 when dd was born. he knew that she was coming. dh brought him to the hospital and that was that. he's done just fine.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM

When we had our second. We had her at the hospital. My Dad brought her up about 45mins later. We let her do what she wanted to do. She came in and gave me a big hug and then wanted to hold her baby sister. So hubby sat down with her on his lap and then helped her hold baby. I love that picture we have. 

When our third was born at home. We talked a lot before baby came. When you are ready to hold baby just let us know. That is just what they did. The hung out with us and touched baby as I was holding baby for some time. After my sister got baby dressed. They asked to hold baby. 

othermom
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I aways had th kids pick out a toy for the ew baby and thent a gift for theolder kids from the newbaby. Also talked to he oldr kids about it and ave them a doll and talked about holding the baby and things like that. I alsolet the older kids help pick out clothesforthe baby(given them the choicebewen 2-3 outfits that I liked) I also had them help gt stuff like bring diapers, the bottle ect to keep thm involved and let them hold he baby(wih help) and just otthem ivoved as much as possble

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

she was 3 last christmas when we found out. She really didnt get interested when we did tell her. she didnt get it quite yet until my belly got bigger towards the end. We didnt tell her right away because i was scared because 2 mos before that i had a miscarrage. I took her to storkvision when we got to find out that Maybree was a girl. She really didnt care then either. She ignored it the whole time. When my mom brought her to the hospital to see the baby,thats when reality hit. She is a great big sister and loves this baby. She has never had any jealousy at all. I involve her in everything. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)