Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Will bunk beds work for my girls?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM
  • 19 Replies
Hello again...

I have a 3 and 4 year old, both with birthdays in January. They share a room (we have a 3 bedroom home but we all made the decision to have them share a room so they can have a toy/play room) They have separate beds, but always crawl into bed together. I was thinking a bunk bed would be a great way to have them start sleeping in their own beds. Does that make sense, do you think it will work, and are they old enough?

*We eventually want them in their own rooms, and having them sleep in separate beds will be a great start. They fall asleep in their own beds, but end up by each other during the night. I think it's a comfort thing. Thanks!*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2DsMommy1112
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

they have corner beds. might be safer. then something they can climb. i can see with my almost 2 yr old being crazy getting hurt. you can get 2 twins or 2 fulls and it has a little like night stand for the corner sothen its at like a 90 degree angle for beds. i hv a toddler and an infant. and once she is a toddler i think im gonna hv tem share a room and get them

2DsMommy1112
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM

KayDziedzic
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM

DH made custom bunkbeds for our kids for space reasons when they were 3 and 5. The top bunk is 5' to 5.5' high, and they've worked out great so far.

Personally, I don't think bunkbeds are the best choice if you're trying to gradually encourage them to sleep separately.  I think PP's suggestion of corner beds with their heads close together is more appropriate. Also consider a trundle bed, where one mattress slides out from under the bedframe of the other; and giving them separate beds next to each other a couple feet apart, and gradually increase the amount of space between their beds.

Good luck, I hope you find a sloution that works for your LOs! 

calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I'm not comfortable letting my 4 yr old on the top bunk yet so IDK...

calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

those corner beds are so cute :)

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM

My kids are 2.5 and 4 and they have bunk beds. They do great with them and love them! :-) They've had them for a while now and they've always been responsible when on the top bunk. I got ones that can be seperated as well so when they had their own rooms for a bit we were able to just put one bed in one room and one in the other. :-) They also had a time when they wanted to share a room but wanted the beds seperated and we were able to do that as well. You can get shorter bunkbeds if the height worries you and you can get bunkbeds with stairsteps if the ladder worries you. The corner beds idea is also a cute idea if you have the room for it! :-)

.Angelica.
by Angie on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM
I like those corner beds and think they would be better for what you are wanting.
KeimUNCmomof3
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:18 AM

trundle bed 

lovehimforever
by Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this
We have a trundle bed. It works great vote us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daisy329
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I love these beds. I showed the pics to my girls and so did they. Thanks for the recommendation! Any ideas where I can get one of these at a reasonable price?

Quoting 2DsMommy1112:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)