• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bedtime: how do you do it????

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM
  • 20 Replies

I have two kids, one is 3 and the other is 1. They obviously have different sleeping patterns due to my youngest being just one years old. They share a bedroom but while the baby sleeps in his crib fine, my oldest sleeps with us every night.

I would like to know if you have similar aged kids what is your bedtime routine? Do you put them down together or at different times? I've established a routine for each of them separately because when together they don't sleep, they play, but in doing so the routine takes anywhere from one to two hours every night. By then, I'm ready to go to bed as well without getting anything else done.

For example: the older one likes it when I read him a book, the baby closes the book on me and rips the books out of my hands (practically). The little one doesn't fall asleep with the night light on, the older one refuses to sleep in the dark.

And so on! lol. How do you do it?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

our girls have separate rooms so those issues are moot for us.  They do have separate bedtimes and same thing as far as our oldest preferring a night light and our youngest pitch black.  It probably should be opposite if anything as far as the 3 yr old in the room and maybe the 1 yr old in a toddler bed in your room.  Or get the 1yr old down first and have the 3 yr old routine mostly done outside so it is just kisses and cuddles before he goes to bed in his own room.  As for the night light issue, if possible move his bed closer to the plug and get a small one, so it can be blocked from view of the 1 yr old.

Poisongirl98
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Well, DH puts DS (3) to bed and I put DD (17 months) to bed. When only one of us is there it's tricky. They usually take a bath together, but DS goes to bed a little later. Also, I stay in DD's room until she falls asleep wince she will freak if I leave and since she sleeps through the night I deal. This sounds bad, but when I have to put them both to bed I still usually put DD down first while DS watches a show quietly on my tablet. I wouldn't do that every night, so I don't know what I'd do if I always had to put them both down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shelhead
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:01 AM

We have separate rooms, but my 6 mo old and 2.5 yr old go to bed at the same time. Most of the time my hubby takes one and I get the other. However, when hubby isn't home I still get them both ready together. We alternate bath nights, but my 2.5 yr old loves to help bathe the baby so that keeps him occupied. ny toddler normally bathes or showers with daddy so that helps out too.

My 2.5 yr old can get himself dressed for the most part. So I take off my 6 mo olds shirt and say "do like I do", which is what he's always saying for various things. So we go 1 for 1 until both are dressed. The baby lays there with a toy while we brush teeth, then I read some stories while feeding a bottle to the bottle. It's by no means as smooth as it seems, but it works. 

Since your 3 yr old wants light on to go to sleep you could get her ready first so she can be falling asleep and you can turn lights out by the time the 1 yr old is ready. 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:59 AM

My kids have seperate rooms too. ODD is 6 and the other DD is 2. They usually go to bed at the same time. Maybe on weekends the 2 year old will fall asleep on the couch if we are letting them stay up later though.

But usually they know, as soon as we say "gummy time" (that's their vitamines) they know. So they take their vitamines, brush teeth, we read a book to them then they go to bed. 

Now, all that is assuming the 6 year old doest cop an attitude and their is no fighting or crying or tantrums. :)

babowes
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Bath books bed. Kisses and prayers if weremember
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Our kids are a little older, guess its time I find a new group...lol

They are 4 and 11. Bedtime is super easy. We tell them to go to bed and they go. We kiss them in bed, tell them we love them and hug them goodnight, done. Our 4 yr informed us months ago that he didn't want us to read to him anymore :( . He still loves to write his letters and numbers and we are learning math now but just doesn't want us to read to him. I'm not sure why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lclmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM

i have a 2 year old and a 8 year old but my friend had the same situation as you they shared a room and they were about the same age, after awhile she started earlier say bedtime 6 for one 7 for the other put baby down depepnding on how fast he/she goes to sleep and with the 3 year old brush teeth pajamas everything earlier then usual then sit on couch and read your story and talk and then bedtime put her in and say goodnight but make sure while getting ready you explain every few minutes its almost sleep time and encourage him/her to be a big girl/boy and show mommy they can sleep right away and all night it will take a little while to get in there head but it will happen be patient also if you wake up when they go in your bed move them back to there bed as tiering as it is it will pay off..

weaveress
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM

mine are 11,9, and 2 now. but when the oldest two were little they did bedtime routine together. brushed teeth, pjs, bath, vitamins, then we would snuggle on the couch for some downtime while watching a low key show. then i would lie between both of them in the oldest bed and read a book or two until she was asleep. sometimes they would both be asleep by then and i would just put our son in his crib. sometimes i would have to rock him after that but I kept him in the darkened room with his sister. but this routine still takes an hour without baths. because there is an hour of tv and reading down time. so we started at seven thirty and had them asleep by nine. I have one who if he goes to bed before 9pm he wakes up at 4am, so we had to work around that. 

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM
We have separate rooms. I don't think either would sleep well if they shared.. sorry im not more help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I have a 3 and a 1 year old.  They both go to bed in their own beds at 7:45 p.m. We don't have a routine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)