Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my son the only one?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM
  • 27 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you nurse your child? Just curiouse of what other moms have done :)

Options:

Yes, but 6 months or less

No, not at all

Yes, longer than 6 months, Less than 13 months

Are Extended nursing 12months+

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 89

View Results

I am posting this not only to see how other toddlers may react and do things, their normal behaviour, but for some real insight. Please everyone, No beating each other up on their parenting styles etc. But do share please.

Sam is 2 now, turned two at the end of October. He is a bit o a wild child as people like to say ,I see it as adventurouse luge. He loves to climb and play out doors and run and have fun. I think all of this is normal.. BUt my mother in law and a few others as well things he is to busy. That hes spoiled because I dont mind the he sits on the washer. " He just climbs up there and sits and watches everyone, and gets down on his own sometimes if you try and hide or put somthing out of his reach, on the shelf over head, he will try and get to it., he isnt jumping off of it not yet, or screaming and banging. I feel he is using it to feel like he is on our level ya know? he is a bit head strong, but then again, arent we all when we want something?

Worst thing he has going right now, He loves to walk on his own, he doesnt like to be carried, so when in stores he will have a fit if you lock him in the cart, he also likes to explore what is sitting there. "i find though if it is a small store we havebeen to alot, he follows me around.

I feel that after everyone was saying he would be so stuck on me for breatfeeding tht this was a good sign?? lol So does anyone else feel they are damned if they do, damned if they dont?

Do any of you other moms of toddlers do the same as we do, or how are your kids at this age?

So is he the only child that is this spoilt? have I ruined him for polite society? by having a different parenty style or whatever you would like to call it.

He still nurses, Not 24/7 or anything mainly when I first come home from work or have been gone long, or when he is tired?

He is allowed to have "safe" free reign of the yard, I dont pin him to one area I let him explore the whole thing, the animal area in the back, the slide and swings in the front ect.

He co sleeps as well....

He is punished when he does something wrong, but I dt baby him and talk baby gibberish to him, never had, he can speak pretty good, when he wants to, and knows what poo and pee are..lol he isnt potty trained yet. alot of the times he will let you know when he has to or has gone and likes togo flush the toilet. He can do alot of basic things like unlock and lock doors, he rides his poppop jazzy chair and can even navigate it around the house and the door and down the enclosed ramp etc. he knows how to feed and water the dogs and help with yard animals.

So have I ruined him????? I am so tired of certian people sayin this about him, or saying well my kids werent like that or we dont let such and such "mainly my mother in law, and my husbands ex wife...My mother in law babysits another child, my sons cousin, and he is sorta a zombie unless we go ovr thereand then all hades breaks loose :D we tak the kids outside or play games with them, we dont sit them down and lock of the rest of the house..???

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormystar15
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Sounds like a normal 2 yr old except the climbing on the washer and just sitting there. My two have never done that but they love to climb and want to jump off of it but that's not saying that your doing something wrong in your parenting he probably just likes to "people watch" as I call it. Sounds like your doing fine though and don't let others make you second guess yourself in your parenting. You know what works for you and your family other people don't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
weaveress
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this

he's independant and not a zombie. sounds like an awesome kid to me!!!

michiganmom5150
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM
As long as he's not disrupting others, I don't see an issue. My oldest was and still is like that. Very curious and intuitive. My mom says he's just like me...he is!
madiesmom89
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM
My dd doesn't do the washer thing, but when we're out, she's all over the place. She now has a puppy backpack (harness and leash type thingie) that she wears. She can go ahead of me if she wants or help me push the cart. Either way, I'm not chasing her through the store. I would've loved to keep nursing, but she managed to self wean around 18 months. She just turned 2 and just about a month ago started sleeping in her own "big girl bed". Every child is different and it sounds like you are doing a great job. Just do what works for you and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)
.Angelica.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

he sounds like a normal kid to me. Nothing you said sounds like you've done a bad job parenting. Sounds like you are doing pretty well in fact. I would keep up the awesome job and ignore peoples comments.

BlessedMammaof2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM
My son is 21 months old, breastfed, and we co-sleep. He is a rambunctious and boisterous *almost* 2 year old. He just got staples removed from the back of his head where he fell backwards and hit his head on the fireplace. The night we got home from the ER he was back climbing on the sofa and ottomam like nothing had happened. The kid has little fear. He likes to climb up the slides, go down head first, and often times by himself (with oversight). My mom kept telling me DS would end up with stitches eventually. Just wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. He too likes to walk through stores ocassionally instead of being in the cart. If he can keep his hands off everything and hold my or DH's hand I have no issue letting the kid walk through the mall or wal-mart. He is well manored at restaurants even. Which took some time but we always get compliments on how well behaved he is for his age. But the kid, after watching DH trim his beard, took his Braun clippers to our poor basset hound. The dog just let him do it. It didn't hurt him but my son took off a patch of hair. DS opened the bathroom door despite their being a childrproof thing on the door knob. Took it out of the drawer and went to town.

Everything you describe sounds normal to me for his age. It doesn't seem like your spoiling him. If your fine with the things he is doing (like scaling the washer) and otherwise discipline him accordingly when he misbehaves there isn't an issue. If you want to better socialize him. Take him out in public. To restaurants or playdates. If you think he is fine don't worry about it. You have to take what your MIL says with a grain of salt. She's always going to have an opinion about something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM
He sounds like a great kid! Very much like my kids. I did not vote bc I nursed 2 if my kids too they were around 2.5yo and my baby is still nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDearie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I wish you lived closer so he and my Lucy could get together. Sound like a perfect pair! Hang in there mama and don't listen to others. You know your kid and your family. Just keep doing what you are doing cause it sounds to me like you are raising one fun independent intelligent little fella there!

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Karen526
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Thanks Yall, and its great to hear from other moms. I mean I have a few other moms in my area, and I have baby sat a village and a half.

But its fun to listen to their adventures. Today Sammie took off from our church sign where my husband an I were switchen out the saying and he went to the school, Dh followed at a distance and it was interesting. LOL it was across the back yard and not near the road but this kid though he was gunna make it to the playground. But he did help momma move an old carpet to the pile and love on the animals. "poor poor dogs" oh and he has a new thing of 2..what ever you give him is not just more, he will get spacific..more. tankoo, two.....

I am sorry to hear your little one got stiches :( If my mom were still around I would probably hear, he was just like you, and just like her, she was the "problem child" its always so interesting to hear stories though.

and he does jump off of most things, but I think that the washer is his look out tower, and I think he is afraid that daddy will take it away if he doesnt behave...

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Sounds just like my 2 year old.  All of what you described sounds like pretty typical toddler behavior.  Don't let anyone tell you that you've "ruined him".  I still breastfeed my 2 year old as much as she wants and she still sleeps next to me most nights, but she is also a very independent child.  There's nothing wrong with anything your doing, just stick with your instincts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)