• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training ***UPDATE***

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

my son will be 3 in febuary so i decided to start potty training since he seems to be interested. yesterday was the first day, we use a timer so we can be sure to go every 20 minutes unless he tells me he has to go more often. and i was giving him an m&m as a reward and lots of positive reinforcement. he did great, he had 3 accidents but i didnt think it was too bad for the first day. today is day two and i swear hes had an accident every 5 minutes this morning. so now im questioning whether hes ready or not? any tips? should i stick with it or wait?

So today is day 5 and yesterday and today he did amazing..on the third day something just clicked and that was it. yesterday was accident free (we even did some errands) and today so far so good. im so happy i stuck with it, and im so proud of my little man, but also a little sad hes growing up. thanks for all the tips again ladies :)

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cadkins07
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Stick with it.. hes still learning.. ask him if he wants his m&ms an say well you gotta pee on the potty :) skittles work great too :)

weaveress
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

its a day by day thing. dd will be 3 in march. she has been dry throughout the night since last July. we started in aug. got her pullups, made sure she went potty when she first woke up and before she went to bed, took her potty every 30 mins throughout the day with m&m if she tried, 3 if she succeeded. by october she will now tell me when she has to potty or I take her every hour to try. but we are still not BMing in the potty. So she goes through 2-3 pull ups a day because of poop.

is he dry throughout the night? does he know when he has to go? is he interested in potty training?  

jg21410
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

i really want to stick with it, i guess i just expected a similar day today maybe i shouldnt have. when he does have an accident he comes right to me and tells me and then we go to the potty and he finishes there. never thought of skittles :)

Quoting cadkins07:

Stick with it.. hes still learning.. ask him if he wants his m&ms an say well you gotta pee on the potty :) skittles work great too :)

cadkins07
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Hes def interested. I would simply stick to it, give A LOT of positive reinforcement

jg21410
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM

i checked him last night and he was dry until this morning when he woke up. he seems very excited about it. he has told me when he has to go before hand a few times so i think hes aware when he has to do it.

Quoting weaveress:

its a day by day thing. dd will be 3 in march. she has been dry throughout the night since last July. we started in aug. got her pullups, made sure she went potty when she first woke up and before she went to bed, took her potty every 30 mins throughout the day with m&m if she tried, 3 if she succeeded. by october she will now tell me when she has to potty or I take her every hour to try. but we are still not BMing in the potty. So she goes through 2-3 pull ups a day because of poop.

is he dry throughout the night? does he know when he has to go? is he interested in potty training?  

bekalynne440
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I would suggest ditching the diapers and sticking it out.  In my experience with my 2, with completely ditching the diapers (even at night) the first few days to a week may be a struggle.  Then its all down hill.

I'm also a big proponent now to ditching the diapers at night to help with both day and night training.  It was the only thing that got my son (trained at 2.5) potty trained during the day in 2 weeks (once we finally completely got rid of the diapers) and trained during the night in 3 weeks.  I did the same with my daughter who will be 2 on the 1st.  We ditched the diapers all together about a month and a week ago.  She's been waking up dry every night for the past almost two weeks, and in the last week she's only had 2 very small accidents (one at nap and one while on a car trip to visit family when we had trouble finding a place to stop).  With both during the first 4-6 days it seemed like they weren't ready and it would take forever to train them.  The biggest thing is being committed and consistant.

jg21410
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

he was only wearing diapers at bed time, maybe i will try that though. thanks

Quoting bekalynne440:

I would suggest ditching the diapers and sticking it out.  In my experience with my 2, with completely ditching the diapers (even at night) the first few days to a week may be a struggle.  Then its all down hill.

I'm also a big proponent now to ditching the diapers at night to help with both day and night training.  It was the only thing that got my son (trained at 2.5) potty trained during the day in 2 weeks (once we finally completely got rid of the diapers) and trained during the night in 3 weeks.  I did the same with my daughter who will be 2 on the 1st.  We ditched the diapers all together about a month and a week ago.  She's been waking up dry every night for the past almost two weeks, and in the last week she's only had 2 very small accidents (one at nap and one while on a car trip to visit family when we had trouble finding a place to stop).  With both during the first 4-6 days it seemed like they weren't ready and it would take forever to train them.  The biggest thing is being committed and consistant.

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM

i would stick with it.

datwins
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

i have twins (boy and girl ) i did it at the same time my daughter got it with in a week and my son it took 6 months it sucked but he is doing it now just stick with it. after we bought him a frog potty is when he started using is and something with a potty dance he wanted to do the potty dance after so he will go. 

jg21410
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM
So the second half of the day went better. He got to the potty on time for the most part and the few.times he didnt he caught himself and just barely wet his underwear and came and told.me in which we went to the bathroom and he finished going on the potty.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)