Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kids dont need "presents" they need your "presence"

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, im seeing a ton of posts on "is it bad to get my infant only a few gifts and my toddler more?" or "i feel guilty i can get my kids all the gifts they want" and so on..my son is 4 and you know what im getting him for christmas? nothing.. do i feel bad? no. and you shouldnt either, instead lets spend more time teaching our children to not tie their happiness to materialistic items. Christmas has become a big commercal.. a big money making scam. I think we can keep the spirit of christmas going without a sigle gift being given. idk maybe thats just me.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetleanne
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

One has to plan things to do with the kids and toys fill a small percentage of their time over all.

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

we have never bought our kids much for christmas. they do have grandparents that like to take care of that for us. :/

my2sweetjoys
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree with spending time with the kids.I have 2 kids, 14 yrs apart, and they are in different stages of life.I tend to buy more for the youngest but this year, he is sick and I may not get to do much more shopping.I do not feel bad about how many gifts or what we spend on him.It is about spending quality time with each other.We have been making ornaments and baking goodies to decorate.My son is missing his party at school tomorrow but I am making one for here for him & all the rest of the family to enjoy being together.It will be dinner & a movie

sunnysashka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I agree and I don't buy bresents for my son but we are not on the same page with my husband about it. He feels obligated to buy our buy tons of toys which my son will forget about right after he openes it! Makes me mad but we can't achieve agreement on this with my husband.... Ugh!

RobynS
by Robyn on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM

clapping

ImNotKarl
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My son gets my presence actively every single day all day long. I listen to him an play with him and make him my full focus constantly. Every night we eat dinner together as a family and I try to make every single family meal special. For Christmas, we've gotten him a few small gifts to mark the occassion and hold on to family traditions. I agree it's not about gifts and attaching their happiness to materialistic things, but I also think that setting aside a little time in the day to present my son with something special that I picked out and wrapped just for him makes the day that much more memorable and exciting. We spent $140 total between the three of us and the dog for gifts, including the $80 camera. That money didn't go to buying as much useless crap as possible, it went to getting cozy new jammies to wear on Christmas day while we did our Christmas activities and watched movies, and a few small things for my small boy that he will really love.

I agree the spirit of the holidays isn't and shouldn't be in the gifts, but as a small child, what was more exciting than finding out what was under the bow and wrapping paper first thing in the morning? My family didn't always have much, but even if we all only got something like a paint-by-numbers or a ticket to the dollar theater and a small box of candy, it was fun, and our parents saw our faces and smiled and laughed with us.

I, for one, can't wait to see my son's expression when he opens his handful of gifts. I can't wait to see him get all stoked to play with them and run around the house like a maniac. I can't wait to take him to see his grandma and grandpa and aunts and uncles in the morning and have breakfast with them and give them the cards we made together and the cookies. I can't wait to watch him hand the little packages to them and see him smile when they scoop him up and give him a hug. I can't wait to make a big dinner and have our friends over to eat with us and watch movies and play board games. The gifts are a small part of it, but a good one. It's silly to stress about getting a lot of expensive things or get everything on your kid's list, but I think getting them something special, just for them makes the day better for everyone.

KRIZZ25
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM
can u take some stuff he ha-sent play wth in long time and wrap it..maybe some book he dont look at or games.a tthe age thy dont recall a lot.
KRIZZ25
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM
i try to do that but i have 3 and it hard.i try to give them each at least 5 min of mommy time.
herbivore
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Quoting sunnysashka:

I agree and I don't buy bresents for my son but we are not on the same page with my husband about it. He feels obligated to buy our buy tons of toys which my son will forget about right after he openes it! Makes me mad but we can't achieve agreement on this with my husband.... Ugh!

yeah, when i was a kid my mom felt i needed tons of gifts..as i grew older i didnt get the same amount of gifts..it was dissapointing.. i expected tons of gifts like i use to have. So with my son we decorate the tree..make cookies and have christmas dinner with family..i dont feel he needs anything else..my parents get him gifts but i ask them to keep it to a minimum..and ask for clothes.. so its better to get them a very small amount so they dont expect alot..

datwins
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM

ugh it makes me mad my mother in law is all about money and my husband was raised that way to so they get aunties uncles cousins and grandmas and grandpas and the whole damn family for his family well we dont have much money this year so i was  just going to do  all the kids and nope his mom got mad and made us fill like s*** and lent us the money insted of just not getting all his family and my family dont have much money so we dont put that stress on every one we just get the kids. im all about what is the real resion of x mas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)