Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you say "no" to not your kid?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM
  • 36 Replies

It still bothers me. What would you do?

Today me and my son went to the book store to pick up some books for gifts and there was a train table to play with. My son joined the group of kids playing. Everything was fine and out of nowhere little girl started pushing and hitting my son. I looked at girl's mom waiting for her to correct her dauther's behavior but mom was too busy chatting. So I approached the girl and siad "could you please stop pushing?" then I asked my son to move to another spot. The mom looked at me like I did something so terrible! She grabbed her dauther and left.

I do not understand: how you would not explaing your own child what is right and what is wrong? I mean they all hit and push but if you do not react to it they will keep doing it.

Was I wrong saying something?

What would you do?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bekalynne440
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I would, and have, say nicely "Honey, we don't hit. That's not nice. Lets try and play nicely." and steer my child away a little. So pretty much what you did. The other parent had no right to be upset. You wouldn't have had to correct her child if she was doing her job as a parent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
weaveress
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

no. I would have done the same or probably something more offensive. 

For example, we were at mcdonalds in the playarea and this little girl was sitting above the tube slide kicking the kids as they slid down. my son came and asked me to "beat her butt because she was hurting kids."  I replied in a very loud voice that if her mother wasn't intelligent enough to teach her right from wrong, then he could go shove her off the slide. The mother got the hint and left while beet red.  

mommy06and09
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM
personally i would not have said anything. i just tell my children to walk away. its not my place to parent another persons child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunnysashka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I kind of feel this way too but up to a point when the other child start hurting my child! In the store I was watching a boy destroying Christmas decorations, mom was not saying anything. It was making me mad but I did not say anything... I had to explain to my boy why that child was doing it and his mommy did not say aything.... Annoying!

datwins
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

if my kids were hitting or pushing then yes as long as you tell them in the right way you have a right to say something to the kids.  if it was me i would have said kinda loud so that the mom could hear to your son " ask her please dont push its not nice" and then if she did it again i would have just moved him away from her 

LeiahAsh2012
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM
If DS did that I would never just sit there. The only issue we have is sharing and I get on him about that.
ImNotKarl
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I would have said something to the little girl, and then confronted the mother. I would have been nice, and said pretty much exactly what you said you the girl, and then I would have told the mother that if she wasn't going to discipline her daughter, maybe it would be best to keep her away from other children, because eventually she's going to bully the wrong kid and get herself hurt. my siblings and I were those kids. Perfectly nice, but if you messed with one of us, we're turn around and knock the snot out of you.

jlbelknap35
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I would of done the same for that situation. It would not make me mad either if I didn't see my son doing something like that and another parent told him to stop. It's not like you yelled at her or spanked her or anything, she was hitting and pushing and that is a big safety hazard.
MomaReca
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM
No you wasn't wrong. you were just protecting your child. I don't like to have to tell other people children right from w.rong but I will if necessary especially if they are bothering my kids.
LucyHarper
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM

If I see a child doing something that they obviously are not supposed to be doing, I say something to them and I really couldn't care less how their parent looks at me. Better that then watch the kid hurt themselves or others. My husband once had to physically touch someone else's child in order to stop them from doing something extremely dangerous when they wouldn't stop when he told them too, people looked at him like he was a pedophile when he probably saved the kids life. People are so moody about others correcting their kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)