Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Terrible Three's?!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

Moms, I need advice! My DD turned 3 early November. She is (was) such a sweetie pie and so fun! Over the last few weeks, she has turned into this totally different child. Whines. Doesn't listen. Talks back. I am sad, where did my sweet daughter go?

My husband and I struggle with her discipline. Time outs haven't been working and yelling at her accomplishes nothing. Any advice mommies?!

Thank you so much!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momdays
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I always try to stay calm with my son. You're right, yelling accomplishes nothing, and teaches them just to yell back at you. My husband pointed out to me that I like to make empty threats alot. And my son is noticing this too. I threaten bedtime, time out, spankings, several times before I follow through. So I have started trying to catch myself doing that. I follow through now with every time out. It just takes patience. I hear from friends that 3's are worse than 2's lol!

babowes
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Growth spell
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this
if the twos were good the threes will get ya! =) just stay in charge and follow through. stay on your best behavior too because she is at the age where they really start to mirror your actions. good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMoonlight
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM
We started using a chart when our girlie underwent that same transition. I gave her stars for good behavior and checks for bad, three checks meant loss of something for the day and three stars meant she got something special(usually candy) it helped a lot, especially when I started to sit down with her at the end of the day to explain again why she got each check and star and what the consequences of both were.
NFish80
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Mommies, thank you! I really love and appreciate your advice!

NFish80
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Quoting MissMoonlight:

We started using a chart when our girlie underwent that same transition. I gave her stars for good behavior and checks for bad, three checks meant loss of something for the day and three stars meant she got something special(usually candy) it helped a lot, especially when I started to sit down with her at the end of the day to explain again why she got each check and star and what the consequences of both were.

I AM GOING TO STEAL THIS IDEA! Thank you!

bekalynne440
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Ds (3.5) goes through phases. When he gets in a disobedient/defiant phase we have to get more strict. Rather than a warning, we give him instruction once and then discipline if he doesn't follow through. We have also added in different forms of punishment. As he gets older different types of punishment start to work.

Also, look at her schedule. Often times a melt done can be related to a basic need like needing to eat, sleep or for some kids even poop.
.Angelica.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM
My son was worse with 4. You just have to stay consistent with discipline and follow through
RobynS
by Robyn on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Yeah, that whole "terrible twos" thing is a myth. Threes tend to be MUCH worse! Hang in there, mama. She's testing you. Be FIRM and CONSISTENT, and calm when at all possible. :) Good luck!

mariesmama
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM

i try to sympathize with her i know you dont wanna wear your hat, but its cold and we need to cover those ears.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)