Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Development Question-Social interaction

My mother went to my son's christmas party at school because I had to work and I wanted to make sure he had his own "guest". When I called to ask her if he had fun she said yes, but expressed some concerns over the fact thay my son doesn't participate with almost any activity. He will be 2 1/2 at the end of this month. I have seen several notes on his daily papers saying he refused to participate in different activities, but I never really paid much attention because I thought it was normal for his age to not really participate in group activities.  I guess I am a little concerned now since my mother saw it as a little abnormal and said all of the other children in his class do participate. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this is normal or if I should talk to his doctor to try to find a way to encourage him to be more involved. BTW my mom said all he does when they do activities is just stand there watching, any tips or advice????

Oh thought I should probably also say that he is definately not the shy type and is normally very friendly and outgoing which is another reason I find his lack of participating as a little odd.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Replies (21-25):
witchybabymomma
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting amc103:

and PS, what is your profile pic of?? LOL! It looks cute and fuzzy! 

lol it's called a poodle moth

I made my account on break at work and didn't have any pics of me and didn't want pics of my son online so that was the best option available

witchybabymomma
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I did talk to his teacher yesterday as well as the center director and they explained it a little better to me. He seems to have trouble transitioning to a new activity, if he is playing something he wants to play, but it's time for a group activity he wants to keep doing what he was already doing. They don't try to force him to participate and said it's normal for his age. They also said that he is more willing to do something if it is "his" idea. The director is going to try to research some things I might be able to do to encourage him to participate in more group activities and to help him transition from one activity to another so hopefully we will make a little progress. I just don't want him to miss out on any of the group learning activities.

amc103
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

This is good news! Sounds like everything will be fine! :-) And hooray for Poodle moths! SO CUTE!

Quoting witchybabymomma:

I did talk to his teacher yesterday as well as the center director and they explained it a little better to me. He seems to have trouble transitioning to a new activity, if he is playing something he wants to play, but it's time for a group activity he wants to keep doing what he was already doing. They don't try to force him to participate and said it's normal for his age. They also said that he is more willing to do something if it is "his" idea. The director is going to try to research some things I might be able to do to encourage him to participate in more group activities and to help him transition from one activity to another so hopefully we will make a little progress. I just don't want him to miss out on any of the group learning activities.

Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting witchybabymomma:

Sounds like my DS!  Howevere, he's 3 and in an at-risk preschool and does participate in the group activities, but I know it did take him some time to learn to transition (and I'm sure he still has difficulties with it, he does it home--ugh).

RutterMama
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I'm with some of the others, it's too young to worry just yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN