Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Odd Toddler Behavior

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son will be 3 next month and is going through a phase of, for lack of a better term, WEIRDNESS! He makes crazy, weird and random noises all the time! Mostly when he doesn't know what he's trying to say, when presented with a question (ie: what do you want to eat, do you need to go potty, ect.) or when he is getting in trouble. He makes up random words or sounds and gets angry with us when we have no idea what he talking about. I attempt to have him show me what he trying to say, but that usually does not work. It can become infuriating to my husband and I because he thinks it is just hilarious! We calmly and nicely ask him to settle down and re-present the question, or try to further probe him as to why he did something wrong. Is anyone else going through this? Any tips on how to break him of this, or at least make the outbursts fewer and farther between? He is extremely bright, ( I know we all say that about our kids) but he truely is. Letters, colors, numbers (up to 30), nursery rhyms, songs on the radio, his memory is unbelieveable. This is why we are so frustrated. How is a child that is so smart, be so STRANGE when he knows how to address the questions we are asking or knows not to do the things he is doing. HELP!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
corrinacs
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Yes, my son does this all the time and he's 5.  I think he just doesn't know how to react when he's hyper or when he's in trouble so this is what he does instead.  I just elave him be and come back a few minutes later to re-ask the question or whatever was going on.

TheMommaJessie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM

he will get over it but try 2 keep patience my son is 2 and does that all the time i just look @ him funny & have him point at what he wants, repeat what he is saying, bring me what he wants (if he can reach it so next time i know what he's saying) that sort of stuff and it works a lot of the time.

RobynS
by Robyn on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM

strange can be a very good thing! But I can see where it would get frustrating when he's doing it at the wrong moments. At this age, they're really testing the waters, trying things out, trying to push your buttons. Continue to try to be calm with him, and explain to him that when he chooses to use words that you understand, then you can help him.

Do you think there's a speech issue at all? Certain sounds he's having trouble with? (totally common!) Or is it strictly a choice that he's making to do this?

msnewmommy87
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM
He has no problem pronouncing words. Nothing speech related. I think it's truly a testing thing. I'm so glad I'm not the only mom going thru this!! It can be so frustrating.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yellownes8
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM
The boy I babysit was just diagnosed with Autism. He is incredibly smart...he has a great memory and knows every letter, color, number, etc. He just turned 4. As far as conversing though he does the same thing your son does. Having a conversation with him or asking him questions goes nowhere. When he wants to he can talk and pronounce words just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwifeandmom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:45 AM

It's possible it's still a speech issue -- not about his ability to pronounce words but because he has a difficult time harnessing the words he wants to utilize, especially when under pressure.  There are many different components involved in speaking properly.

My 14yr son has some unique speech patterns.  He's never had difficulty pronouncing any of his words, but he has difficulty organizing his thoughts to get his words out properly.  Every now and again my 9yr daughter is the same way. 

You may want to have your son evaluated by a speech therapist to see whether his speech patterns are something speech therapy can help him with. 

Quoting msnewmommy87:

He has no problem pronouncing words. Nothing speech related. I think it's truly a testing thing. I'm so glad I'm not the only mom going thru this!! It can be so frustrating.

Poisongirl98
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM

My 3 year old DS does this some times, it sounds like jibberish.  His is more of making up sentences that don't make any sense.  I too think it's when he doesn't quite know what to say.  However, like your son he does have good articulation of individual words and always has.  I do know that he does have significant fine motor delays, motor planning problems, and problems in planning out and sequencing movements--and also trouble organzing his thoughts.  Requesting or commenting using a single idea is not hard for him, it's when he has to sequence multiple ideas or when trying to retell past events.  It is getting better though recently.  

msnewmommy87
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM
None of his issues are speech related. He was a premie and has been tested for just about every disease and been evaluated by all therapies multiple times. He talks freely, holds conversations, says 10-15 word sentences, is extremely bright. I just think he is trying to be cute, funny, silly, or tries to get the attention focused back on him. Testing the waters about what he can or cannot get away with makes lots of sense.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blissfulmama80
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

My 2.5 year old has a great vocabulary and doesn't really have any issue getting her point across.  She does have a little bit of a speech issue as far as some words are hard to understand, but it's not too big of a deal.  Anyway, she does little spaz out moments, too.  Like when she gets frustrated, in trouble, tired, etc, she'll just make a random noise and shake her head or something weird... or she'll start saying a bunch of garble.  My DD1 never did that... so it's new to me.  She also thinks it's funny at times.  I don't know... a stage? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)