Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ferber

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM
  • 2 Replies
We used the Ferber method when my 2 yr old was much younger and it worked great. My question is, could we use this method now that he's a little over 2?
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I don't know the specifics of Ferber and I don't know your son or his overall sleeping patterns.  All I can speak to is my experience.  We used a method of CIO for our kids when it was necessary.  Thankfully we were blessed with fantastic sleepers, for the most part.  For the times we had to use it, we didn't follow a specific method verbatim, we just did what felt right for us.  As they have gotten older, if periods arise where bedtime gets tough or they wake up, we know that there is a reason for that.  My daughter is almost 3 1/2 and has had maybe 5 or 6 sleepless nights her entire life.  These were all due to illness.  Because I know this, when she cries in the middle of the night I always go to her.  My son has had issues with night terrors so when he wakes up, we go to him as well (he's 6).  When my daughter goes thru her periods of bedtime issues we follow our usual bedtime routine.  If we leave and she continues to cry we wait 5-10 mins and then go in.  I'll sit on her bed, maybe rock her in my lap for a moment, lay her down and leave again.  I'll continue to do this if she continues to cry (most times I only have to go back once).  When they were younger we only waited 1 or 2 mins but now that they are older we give the time to calm themselves down.

I think you know your child and you have to figure out what is causing his sleeping issues.  If he's never been a great sleeper then start with what worked before.  If that doesn't work now, tweek as necessary. 

itsm3
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM

yes but this time, use reward charts for incentive and reduce crying.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)