Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Terrible Two's!!

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

My daughter is two but can act 15 at times. She is snobby, screams, talks back, has never done well in public...even have gotten kicked out of places because of her. What do I do?! I've done time outs. I have swatted her butt. Talked loud and scary. nothing fazes her. She just tells me to stop it and goes back to what she was doing until I grab her arm and pull her away.

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
.Angelica.
by Angie on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

i haven't personally read it but have heard great things about 1-2-3 magic. it's worth looking into :) good luck!

PEEK05
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Sorry I don't know. My kids haven't really ever done that.  Are you being consistent with your discipline? Like PP said, I recommend 1-2-3 Magic.

Kat13zMom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Mine is 2 1/2 and this sounds just like her. Haven't gotten kicked out of anywhere yet, but I'm always afraid it's going to happen. Her latest thing is to say "I know" to everything we say to her...

PriestMommy
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

yeah your lucky..her word is "NO"

~*Priest Mommy*~
PriestMommy
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Well I think I am consistant...I should see how consistant I am when it comes down to it next time. But my Hubby always is oppisite of my and doesn't help.

~*Priest Mommy*~
sophiesmom07
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I can relate!  They are tough at 2!  The best thing to do is ignore tantrums, just walk away. Try to not react (I know, it's hard.)  Keep the time outs going , but speak to her calmly and matter of factly.   Try removing or cancelling a favorite activity like watching tv ( at least for a few hours.)   This actually works the best for me. Good luck! 

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM

your not being consistant. thats the problem. Keep doing the time outs. You will get tired of it. But it will work eventually. Wait till she is 3. It gets worse.lol

bekalynne440
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I read this once and found it to work quite well: when the child starts acting up tell them how to correct the behavior. If they don't obey hold them in front of you with both your hands around their body under their arms, simply holding them in an upright position. Kids don't like being restricted and will fight it. Don't give up. They will try to twist away, pull their feet up in the air (which they'll find isn't very comfortable), and cry/scream. Just keep them up right, in front of you and facing you. Once they have calmed down give them a hug, then instruct them on what they need to do to correct their behavior. If that causes another tantrum, begin the process again. (It's best to first do this at home.)

The fist time you do this usually takes the longest. With dd it was only a few minutes. With ds it was over 20. I've found this technique to work well, though. With my kids, once I can get them passed the fit they throw when holding them they become pretty obedient and willingly make amends for the innaproptiate behavior (whether cleaning up a mess, apologizing, or a simple task like holding my hand).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PriestMommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Thank you ladies. The ideas are great..my daughter has actually gotten a lot better lately. She still has an attitude on her..but what kid doesn't?! lol Friends have said she screams a lot less..but she still isn't all the way there on the listening..but she is a lot better! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN