Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training at 16 months

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son has been showing signs that he is ready like: ripping off diapers, squatting in corners when "going", etc. what's the best way to introduce it to him? He try's to watch us go but he can't quite say pee or poop so how will I know when he needs to?

Any advice or personal experiences to share?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
PEEK05
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

At this age, I'd just get a little potty for him to explore as he wants.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM

yep, i agree with pp.  definitely just let him learn about the potty, sit on it if he wants, etc.  if he gets anything in the potty give him SOOOOO much praise.  otherwise just keep it casual and let him lead the way. the odds of him training at 16 months are pretty small but it does happen.

luvc09
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I agree, buy a little potty and let him check it out. You can put him on it first thing in the morning and see what happens. My daughter loved the one that scenced when you pee and played music as a reward. If he can't tell you that he has to potty yet, you can teach him the sign. Here is a picture of the sign for potty. You make the letter t and just wiggle/shake your hand. My daughter couldn't quite make the T, so heres was just a fist, but it worked. When she had to potty she just would come up to us and shake her fist.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/pottysign(1).jpg

LilyBeansMom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Sign language is a great tool. We use it for a lot of things. My niece completely potty trained herself by that age. Some kids are just ready sooner! Dd started to at about 18 months but kind of lost interest. She goes on the potty once in a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Signing was big for my son when he first started training. It's such an easy sign, too.

Quoting luvc09:

I agree, buy a little potty and let him check it out. You can put him on it first thing in the morning and see what happens. My daughter loved the one that scenced when you pee and played music as a reward. If he can't tell you that he has to potty yet, you can teach him the sign. Here is a picture of the sign for potty. You make the letter t and just wiggle/shake your hand. My daughter couldn't quite make the T, so heres was just a fist, but it worked. When she had to potty she just would come up to us and shake her fist.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/pottysign(1).jpg

Asenath
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM
we potty tained at 18 months, and that was me pushing it back cause as soon as he ccould sccoot he started hiding when going. I let my son sit on his potty while watching tv in the living room, I even gave him snacks to help him sit on it longer. When YOU feel you and he are ready start taking him every half hour for a few minutes, then move up to an hour, 2 hours, then he should always be able to tell you. Once they have peed in there a few times they will start to get better at holding it and telling you. When this happened I started doing underwear so it was not so comfy when he had an accident. We also watched potty dvds and read lots of books. Just try different things, and soon you will find what works for your family. I am potty training the little boy I babysit, 2 1/2, and alot of the same things I did for my son did not work for him. What did help was letting him sit on little potty while my son was on big potty. My son is only a month and half older, but was also clapping and praising right along with me!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)