Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Copying Others

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM
  • 12 Replies

Does your child pick up habbits from others?  

Whenever my child spends any amount of time with her cousins she turns into a horrible BRAT!  She has no manners, runs, spits, hits, back sasses, etc.  This past time I told her NO more!  I'm fed up with it.  She's 4yr old and has manners and can control herself.  I guess she's just doing it to see that since THEY can get away with certain awful things if she can.........UGH......not looking forward to Christmas..........

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM

My son had one particular situation where I noticed that.  Last summer (he was 5 1/2) he had a playdate with a preschool friend.  I picked him up 2 hours later and, my gosh, he was acting terribly.  Whining, argumentative, etc.  I put a stop to that pretty quick.  Otherwise, nothing huge.  I'm pretty firm with my kids and their behavior so even if something has come up, I squash it pretty quickly.  The example above was the only one that was insanely obvious and mostly because he was 5 1/2 and his behavior was that of a 3 year old.

corrinacs
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Oh now :/.  And yes, this is normal....whether you like it or not :/.  Caden sometimes does this as well and its so annoying! We don't allow him over at a certain person's house anymore for the same reason :/.

Sorry about that mama, I don't know how else to prevent the behavior change other than to prevevnt them from being together.....or at least talk to your child about it beforehand.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Yea....definitely giong to have to do a 'talk' before all family functions now and there will not be any more family spend-the-night things.  I can't handle this..... :(

Quoting corrinacs:

Oh now :/.  And yes, this is normal....whether you like it or not :/.  Caden sometimes does this as well and its so annoying! We don't allow him over at a certain person's house anymore for the same reason :/.

Sorry about that mama, I don't know how else to prevent the behavior change other than to prevevnt them from being together.....or at least talk to your child about it beforehand.

theosgirl45
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD picked up this annoying habit of repeating every thing I say.  So I thought ok I will get that little monster(just kidding ya know I love her) and when she was repeating me I would stop whatever I was going to say and instead say "My names Lily and I'm stinky"(just kidding shes not was for fun) and she repeated me but instead said "My names Mommy and I'm stinky".  Burned by my four year old, in front of my whole family. lol

LilyBeansMom
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Not yet but it's early!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely an issue with our cousins as well. I just have to remind him that even though cousin x does it, that doesn't mean it's okay at our house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen6807
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
This is an issue with my Dd (5) when she het together with her cousins. If she's doing something she's not suppose to o will give her s look and simple say you know better and its over. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry momma. Stick to you guns.even in front of the others. I would demand them all to behave in front of me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Thanks ladies!  At least I know its normal and not just my child......I thought 'what is wrong with you' the other day!  *sigh*  the joys of growing up and learning to control oneself......

Gweneveer
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Definitely normal, but not always fun.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)