Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I deal with a toddler who hits others?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 4 Replies

Although I know it's common toddler behavior, I find myself surprised to be in this situation after raising three toddlers who never hit.  Fortunately, my toddler reserves most of his hitting for dear old mom - still, I'm hoping he stops before preschool!

Do you have tips for getting a toddler to stop hitting?

To see some of the most helpful answers from CafeMom members on this topic, visit this Advice page: How do I deal with a toddler who hits others?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
babowes
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM
I had one I stuck to him like glue!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Automatic time out each and every time he hits, accompanied by a very firm no.  Don't let him get away with even a tap.

Asenath
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM
lol I have had the same problem recently! I seem to be his punching bag, occasionally the little boy I babysit to. However, when I stayed at his preschool with him one day I saw a couple little boys do things that at home he would have smacked someone real good for, but there he just turned his back on them. I notice the more he gets spanked the more he hits, it also usually means that something is going on. If he has been doing it alot I will spend more one on one time, or have him go on date with daddy. He usually just needs some extra attention. Lately when I see he is about to I tell him to be careful or he will hurt mommy. Sadly what really helped was to basically rub his nose in it. He bit our little friend real bad one day, so I made him look at it and told hiim he did that, he started crying cause he felt so bad. later I made him tell daddy and when i reminded him how bad it was he started crying again. Another day he sccratched my lip and I was able to keep using it as a reminder for him. You can start crying or do something to help them realize what they did it helps. I try to take him to the side somewhere and let him scream it out. I do not think they are meaning to hurt anyone, just having a hard time expressing themselves.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LilyBeansMom
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM
I am having a hard time with this. She does it to me when she wants to go to bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)