Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 year old with a cough

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM
  • 11 Replies
Is there anything I can give my little man for his cough? All of the over counter cough meds say age like 6 and up except those natural honey ones and I cannot get him to take that kind
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clairewait
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:00 PM

What do you mean "cannot get him to take..." ??

It's like a teaspoon. 

Highlands and/or Zarbees work well for us. I just make mine open their beaks and take it. I tell them it is medicine and it will make them feel better and it is a no-questions / no-arguments thing. Mine don't like it much either, but I still make them take it. I always have a cup of water ready so they can wash it down.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

justmommy09
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I have tried everything he refuses it and when I do get it in his mouth he spits it everywhere. Its the only medicine I've ever had a problem with him taking. It is the zarbees brand all natural cough syrup.

I'm glad you can get your children to take it.

Quoting clairewait:

What do you mean "cannot get him to take..." ??

It's like a teaspoon. 

Highlands and/or Zarbees work well for us. I just make mine open their beaks and take it. I tell them it is medicine and it will make them feel better and it is a no-questions / no-arguments thing. Mine don't like it much either, but I still make them take it. I always have a cup of water ready so they can wash it down.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't do any medicine for a cough.  If ever gets that bad then it's usually croup and they go to the doc for a steroid dose.  That's only been maybe 2 or 3 times though.  For the minor coughs that they have had we just put a cool mist humidifier near their bed and that's about all.  Sitting them in a steamy bathroom can be helpful as well.

Good luck!

babowes
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM
I plug there nose andsit on them then they swallow.
kailu1835
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Give him a spoonful of honey.  Also, I think he can have elderberry syrup or cough drops (depending on his age, they could be a choking hazard to a toddler).

jalikym
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Peppermint water works great. Melt hard peppermint in about 1/4 - 1/2 c of water. It coats the throat & soothes. I give about teaspoon every so often as needed to keep down coughing
itsm3
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM

i make my own:  1/3 warm water, 1/2 cup honey, juice from 2 big lemons.  

mix the honey and lemon well.  add water and stir well.  store in glass container in fridge.  give 4x/day.  

Gweneveer
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM

We dont do meds for a cough either.  They dont work.

corrinacs
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Unfortunately, not much.  The best you can do is

1. Humidifier, especially where and when he sleeps.

2. Vicks on the feet with socks....don't know why but this really works LOL

3. Get him to blow his nose if you can.  If he's too small, suction them out.

4. Saline nose drops/srays.  This will help loosen any gunk in there.  Good thing to do just prior to blowing or suctioning nose, too :).

5. If it seems that there's hardly any boogies, I would give him motrin as that decreases inflammation, which may be causing his cough.

Good luck, hope he feels better!

Asenath
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
They do have meds for this age. Try asking the pharmicist. My son will take pretty much anything but what I see helps the most is Similason Kids cold and mucus relief. It helps loosen it up. I also put vapor rub on his chest before he goes to sleep, if really bad I will do it during the day. We have also sat in a steamed up bathroom to, just tak esome games or videos to keep them in there. My son will be 3 next month and we have doing this for almost a year with great results. You can also look for meds by weight. My son is a biggy so we were able to start using real meds before he turned 2. Most meds will have weight listed as well as age. Good Luck!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)