Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I Didn't Want a War..

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM
  • 28 Replies

But I think I have one.  My 19mo is a 'picky eater,' so I have been trying to nip that in the bud by offering what the rest of the family is eating and a couple different fruit/veggie options.  Unfortunately, most or ALL of it goes onto the floor, I tell him we don't throw food, then I take him out of his high chair, and he is done with that meal.  This has been going on for a week about, and he is DEFINATELY not getting enough food!  I don't know what else to do.  I've been giving him fruit/veggie smoothies and also Carnation Instant Breakfast in between meals, but I'm thinking of giving up.  I am out of ideas.  

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baby7810
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM

GL my 2 1/2 yo dd is super picky and i have tried EVERYTHING

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

If he's hungry he will eat.  Unless there is something else going on, he will not starve himself.  The Carnation Breakfasts will fill him up.  If it were me, I would continue to offer what you offer and it's his choice to eat.  If he doesn't, he doens't.  Keep it around and, if he's hungry later, offer it again, heated up or whatever.  If it's something that can't hang around then offer him a fruit or veggie.  If he's hungry enough he'll eat whatever is in front of him.

Picky eating is completely common.  Things like this can often start for one reason but continue for another.  He knows he has complete control over his food and if he sees you frustrated or giving him tons of extra attention for NOT eating then it may just continue the cycle.  If it were me I would just stop paying it any attention. Make sure he's continuing to drink water but I would stop the Carnation.  If you are super concerned you could start a muli-vitamin.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Hey mama,

How is your child's weight/height/development?  Good, then no worries.  Just keep trying the best that you can and offer snacks and supplemented milk (Ovaltine, Pediasure or if you want, toddler formula).

If there is weight issues, then I would DEF. go on supplemented milk for the time being.  Also, speak to your doctor about the pickiness.  Does he seem to get rashes soon after eating?  Is his hiney raw at times?  Fussy after eating?  Excema?  Congestion that won't go away?  IF so, your buddy could have food allergies, and this food pickiness is one of hte major signs of it. 

Also, is he avoiding certain textures?  Like, he will eat Goldfish or cereal, but won't touch bananas or carrot coins?  Then he could have food aversions or texture issues.

In the allergy and aversion case, speak to your doctor.

Good luck and I hope its a run of the mill pickiness.......but just letting you know what could be just in case :). 

From a mama with two kids with teh above :/ :(

mmccrea
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

He is in the 5-10th percentile for weight, 50th percentile for height.  He is developing normally, except for speech, he's been a little slow.  10-15 words he can, but only sometimes says.  He will sign though.

Is 5-10th percentile for weight is a weight issue?  Supplemented milk?  Like the toddler formula?  He does not get rashes after eating, or fussiness, or congestion.  I had him tested for allergies, and he was negative for everything.  Although, he does get eczema.  

The texture thing...he does prefer crunchy to soft and squishy, although if I give him one of those Plum Organic 'squishers,' he usually eats it.  If he has texture issues, what am I supposed to do about that?

Thanks.

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

How is your child's weight/height/development?  Good, then no worries.  Just keep trying the best that you can and offer snacks and supplemented milk (Ovaltine, Pediasure or if you want, toddler formula).

If there is weight issues, then I would DEF. go on supplemented milk for the time being.  Also, speak to your doctor about the pickiness.  Does he seem to get rashes soon after eating?  Is his hiney raw at times?  Fussy after eating?  Excema?  Congestion that won't go away?  IF so, your buddy could have food allergies, and this food pickiness is one of hte major signs of it. 

Also, is he avoiding certain textures?  Like, he will eat Goldfish or cereal, but won't touch bananas or carrot coins?  Then he could have food aversions or texture issues.

In the allergy and aversion case, speak to your doctor.

Good luck and I hope its a run of the mill pickiness.......but just letting you know what could be just in case :). 

From a mama with two kids with teh above :/ :(

Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:31 PM
I agree with this completely. He's not hungry after the drink. He will eat when hungry. Don't cater to him. And don't not serve something because you don't think he will eat it.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

If he's hungry he will eat.  Unless there is something else going on, he will not starve himself.  The Carnation Breakfasts will fill him up.  If it were me, I would continue to offer what you offer and it's his choice to eat.  If he doesn't, he doens't.  Keep it around and, if he's hungry later, offer it again, heated up or whatever.  If it's something that can't hang around then offer him a fruit or veggie.  If he's hungry enough he'll eat whatever is in front of him.

Picky eating is completely common.  Things like this can often start for one reason but continue for another.  He knows he has complete control over his food and if he sees you frustrated or giving him tons of extra attention for NOT eating then it may just continue the cycle.  If it were me I would just stop paying it any attention. Make sure he's continuing to drink water but I would stop the Carnation.  If you are super concerned you could start a muli-vitamin.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM

5-10 percentile is on the small side--in my opinion.  Basically, it means that 90 to 95% of kids his age are bigger than him.  I wouldn't feel comfortable starving him out with those percentages...at least not without talking to your pedi.

Gweneveer
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Mine too....I give up!

Quoting baby7810:

mmccrea
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I know what it means, but the doc didn't say I should give him any special treatment or put him on a special diet.  If he is 'skinny,' I don't know what else to do.  

Quoting iansmommy9:

5-10 percentile is on the small side--in my opinion.  Basically, it means that 90 to 95% of kids his age are bigger than him.  I wouldn't feel comfortable starving him out with those percentages...at least not without talking to your pedi.

mmccrea
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

BUMP!

mmccrea
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

If you gave up, what does that mean?  What does your child eat?

Quoting Gweneveer:

Mine too....I give up!

Quoting baby7810:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)