Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Flying question **UPDATE**

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 21 Replies

Ok, so my mom booked DD's and my plane tickets for SC next month (yay!) .. my aunt says that she has a carseat for DD (no clue if it's 5 point or not yet) but I'd rather bring my own. The airlines allows the carseat on the plane for free .. but my question is .. does DD have to use it during flight? She has her own seat .. and I know they make harness for young children. Thank you in advance!!!

So I went on to the airlines website to get their number so that I could speak to someone about DD's carseat. And yay!!! Under the list of questions about children flying there was my answer about her carseat!! LOL I checked the carseat as it said for an indication that it is OK's for flight.. and there was my pretty little picture of a plane that OK'd it for flight. *sigh* I don't look at the sides of her carseat for anything! Why would I look? LMAO So, hip-hip-hooray I can use her carseat for the flights so I don't have to worry about her being a jumping bean the entire time.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liss05
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM

My DH or myself just held DD on the plane but had her seat just in case.

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Hmm. Ok. DD has never flown and I have no clue LOL Thanks :-)

Quoting liss05:

My DH or myself just held DD on the plane but had her seat just in case.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
liss05
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I told you what worked for US doesn't mean you have to do it.

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM
I wasn't being rude if that is the way that you took it. It's been years since I've flown and can't recall seeing toddlers/babies in their carseats on flights. The rules/regulations say nothing about using or not using them on flights.

Quoting liss05:

I told you what worked for US doesn't mean you have to do it.

babowes
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM
I used my carseat. It makes it a lot easier. How old?
Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM
She will be turning 2 the day after our flight. She uses a convertible carseat.

Quoting babowes:

I used my carseat. It makes it a lot easier. How old?
CampClan
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO better safe than sorry. And if you use your carseat in your car rear facing I would use it that way on the plane as well. IDK all the rules & guidelines (I am terrified to fly because heights freak me out) but definitely look into the rules. I might even call your pediatrician & see what is recommended. Or check the carseat manual & see if there is anything in the booklet. Or even email the customer service for the brand of carseat you have & see what they might know.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM

i've never flown with kids but i have heard that some people use them during the flight. And i've heard not to check the seats because you don't want them thrown around with the luggage

busymom64064
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM

How old is she?

I just went on vacation by airplane. Got back lastnight as a matter of fact. I saw lots or infants and toddlers that didn't use carseats. Either there was just an extra seat from no one sitting next to them or they bought an extra seat. Anyway, it isn't necessary to use a car seat on an airplane. Airplanes are the safest way to travel. Think about it, how many plane crashes have you heard about in the last two decades? (compared to vehicle accidents). there is data out there that will confirm this.

Sorry, when I get onto a rant about something I usually just keep typing away lol.

Is the carseat that your mom got your daughter brand new or used? If used, i wouldn't use it......you don't know the history of the carseat, whether the previous owner was telling the truth. Who's to say that previous owner didn't ALSO buy the car seat used? If the car seat is new, make sure they fit your daughter on BOTH height and weight requirements.......as well as appropriate seat for your daughter's age, weight, and height.

If you are going to use a car seat on the plane, it has to have a sticker on it saying that it is approved by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) to use on airplanes. Otherwise, they wont let you use the car seat on the airplane. Another think to think about is the size of the car seat. Airplane seats are very narrow and tiny, as you probably already know from flying before?

busymom64064
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I just read that your daughter isn't even 2 yet. Technically, you can have her sit in your lap. Ages 0-2 they are allowed to  sit on your lap during flight; however, you can still buy them their airplane seat if needed or wanted. After a child turns 2, you are required to buy them their own seat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)