Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4yr old chewing on his clothes

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM
  • 23 Replies

i'm at a loss of what to do....Calvin(4) keeps chewing on his clothes....making holes in some of his brand new long sleeved shirts.....and he will chew on the short sleeved ones too. I called his dr to get an appointment for some type of referral but they cant get him in til January 21st and he already had an appt scheduled for the 30th for his athsma recheck so I said i'd just talk to her than about it... He puts other things in his mouth too. He never really did this until Kelsey (11months) was born.....i feel so bad...his disobedient behavior didnt really start til after she was born either.....I feel like I ruined my child by giving him a sibling....i feel idk....

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aleta775
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

You didn't ruin him. So don't beat yourself up. To me the behavior sounds similar to thumb sucking, carrying a blanket, or other repetitive behaviors. Kids will usually do this as a coping mechanism. It totally makes sense that he would start this with a new siblings being brought into the picture. Try to spend some time with him where it is just you and just him, or just him and your dh. He needs some special time with each of you where he is the focus. Perhaps this will give him the reassurance he needs and he will stop. Good luck. 

.Angelica.
by Angie on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM

here's a bump. i'm trying to get ian to stop picking his nails.

calvinsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I guess its just waiting to see his pedi to see what she says. Just between these new habits and his defiant behavior he's a totally different child than before. Plus bedtime issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Samantha went through a phase. She chewed on everything, her cloths, toys, you name it.

It really bugged me, but she would say it made her teeth feel better. I don't know if her molars came in, I hardly check. She occasionally still does but not as bad as before. No where near as bad.

She just stopped one day out of no where. Lol.

Btw what up beezy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Yeah he puts random pieces of paper/plastic in his mouth too. I'm not sure if its Pica or what. Or if its immitation since Kelsey is a baby and puts everything in her mouth.

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

Samantha went through a phase. She chewed on everything, her cloths, toys, you name it.

It really bugged me, but she would say it made her teeth feel better. I don't know if her molars came in, I hardly check. She occasionally still does but not as bad as before. No where near as bad.

Btw what up beezy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM
What's pica?? Lol

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Yeah he puts random pieces of paper/plastic in his mouth too. I'm not sure if its Pica or what. Or if its immitation since Kelsey is a baby and puts everything in her mouth.

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

Btw what up beezy!
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this
My son, did that from age four till the end of kinder. Why do you consider this a behavior issue instead of a simple preschool phase?

I really saw it a more of a temporary annoyance than a behavior issue. It is a mixture of an oral fixation and a simple absent-minded habit.
I really doubt it has anything to do with a new sibling .... Unless it's nervousness
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:56 AM
Pica is a desire eat things nor meant to be eaten.

Op I find it unlikely this is pica. Most likely stress reaction that will go away be itself.

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

What's pica?? Lol

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

Btw what up beezy!
ravvensmom1313
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I remember doing this a lot as a kid and still find myself doing it still it's sometimes just the texture of somesomething new or weird or just something to do my little girl dose it to but with her nails like my little sister did

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I felt like that when my dd was a baby.  My son was about 3 1/2 and went thru a HORRIBLE phase.  When it was just him I thought I was the best mom ever and then I thought I was failing miserably at incorporating his sister into the family.  What I learned was that I can only control so much.  The way he processed her arrival was just personal to him and all I could do was show understanding and patience.  Was I great at that?  Not even close but I did my best and we eventually all got thru it.  They are 6 and 3 1/2 now and there is nothing better than watching them play together, laugh together, etc.  It was hard but SOOOOOOOOO worth it.

I'm not sure about the chewing but I hope your doc can give you some info.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)