Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Potty Training... TMI?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

So we started potty training our son about 3 weeks ago. He is doing great! He has only had one accident in about 2 weeks! The problem though is pooping. He tells me that he needs to go potty (poop and or pee), he will sit on the potty and grunt and cry and the say he is done... nothing. We go through this sever times a day and about every other day he will actually make poop once or so. I seems like he is trying to poop but maybe he is sitting there trying not to poop idk. Maybe he just isn't relaxed enough ot actually go so he holds it longer until it is to big and hurts so much coming out.... idk what to do to help my poop little guy. He does NOT poop in his pants, he does tell me, it is just actually going he is not letting happen.....

When he was littler and was really constipated the dr told me to add just a little benefiber to his juice to help him go. I have done this lately b/c of how much trouble he is having. I am just hoping that it will make it easier for him to go before he makes it so big and hard in there. I don't want to do this all of the time though.

Have you had any problems like this? What did you do?

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM

If it's a matter of him not being able to relax enough, you could try to distract him. For DD, it sometimes takes singing songs, practicing counting, or reading a story to get her distracted and allow her to finish the task at hand.

mamamedic69
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM
My dd has and still has severe constipation issues. Her pedi put her on a daily regimen of Miralax to soften it so she could poop. It's the only thing that has seemed to help. She used to scream in pain when trying to go. She has been trained for quite a while now and still has issues with this.

Her dr said it could take up to a year or more to get her bowels just right.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I would continue the benefiber until he becomes softer and more regular.  If it is a matter of not being able to relax enough then, yeah, he's going to get constipated and make the issue worse.  Right now, you just want him pooping, period.  Remember that this is just temporary.  You won't be doing this when he's 18.

PEEK05
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I hear this is a pretty common problem, but I haven't ran into it yet, sorry. :( Here is a bump.

butterflycircle
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Thank you for the suggestion, we do this too. We have a bunch of books right next to the potty and we talk and read and I ask him about things like what we are going to do that day and stuff. The first week we probab;y spent 30mins on the potty each time and still nothing. I feel so bad for him he sits there and screams and cries and then kinda gives up and says he is done and when he stands up he asks me if his poop came out. 

Quoting mrsniebo:

If it's a matter of him not being able to relax enough, you could try to distract him. For DD, it sometimes takes singing songs, practicing counting, or reading a story to get her distracted and allow her to finish the task at hand.

butterflycircle
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:24 AM

this sounds like exactly what we are going through. He screams and cries and just wants to be done. Twice he has been so miserable there he has told me "need my diaper" and I just tell him it is all ok and he is on the potty like a   big boy it is ok to let his poop come out. It just breaks my heart for him to be in so much pain. I think the next time I see or talk to his dr I will mention this just so he is on the same page. I am so glad he tells me he needs to go, he just isn't going when he needs to go.

Quoting mamamedic69:

My dd has and still has severe constipation issues. Her pedi put her on a daily regimen of Miralax to soften it so she could poop. It's the only thing that has seemed to help. She used to scream in pain when trying to go. She has been trained for quite a while now and still has issues with this.

Her dr said it could take up to a year or more to get her bowels just right.

butterflycircle
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:29 AM

That is what I had to tell myself the 3rd or 4th day of potty training b/c he hadn't pooped in 2 days and I was already worried it would be come a problem. I gave him the benefiber thinking "he just needs to poop, even if he has an accident he just needs it to come out." (it doesn't make him go or anything, it just helps things soften up I think). He gets so proud when he does do it. I think I will just have to give it to him on a regular basis not just when he skips a day of going, to get him/keep him soft and regular.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I would continue the benefiber until he becomes softer and more regular.  If it is a matter of not being able to relax enough then, yeah, he's going to get constipated and make the issue worse.  Right now, you just want him pooping, period.  Remember that this is just temporary.  You won't be doing this when he's 18.

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

We have a basket of books on the back of the toilet. Those usually help him relax. When I can hear it, we make a big deal to be quiet so we can listen to a "Job well done". I know, pretty gross, but he's a little boy and that's what motivates him.

We use a potty seat on the big toilet and someimes I'll have him grab the handles to give him more leverage.

Kayla-Kay
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Gross things motivate my son to poop, so we wrote our own book about poop and pee and a little bear boy who goes potty. To make it short my son LOVES it and has been wanting to go potty more often and now finds poops and farts to be gut busting funny.... Good luck mama.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
susan_marie
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM

With my little girl, we told her that she has to eat when she's hungry, and we must feed the potty poop so the potty doesn't get hungry. It worked like a dream!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN