Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Restaurant Dinner gone wrong!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:42 PM
  • 34 Replies

Let me start off by wishing everyone a Happy NewYear!!! Well... My family and I go out to eat at Ruby Tuesday's tonight. We just wanted to do a little somthing special to celebrate NewYears since we had no other plans. It started off great, untill my 3yr old started (purposely) sliding out of his booster seat under the table. My 2yr old thinks its funny, so she starts mimmicing him... I cant get them to listen at all, and other people start staring at us like we were some "side-show act". Then they decide it will be so hilarious to start throwing crayons at each other, and start laughing so loud that thier voices start echoing off the walls) which cause's more stares... It doesint stop there though, My darling daughter (the 2yr old) then decides to drop all her food (including her ketchup) into my purse!!! They each only took a couple bites of food, and they were done... We ended up boxing up our stuff and leaving... We usually never go out to eat unless its kid friendly like McDonalds, or Burger King and this is exactly the reason why... What can I do to keep my kids in line when we DO try going out to eat at places like this?

frustrated

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I haven't encountered this with my 2 yr old (but she doesn't have a sibling yet), but you have my sympathies. 

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM
2 moms liked this
(((hugs)))

I find that NOT avoiding those places is the key. My kids are at nice sit down restaurants 2-3 times a week and they know the rules....but I have taken them since infancy. When they were a little younger I always had a few small toys to occupy them. Now I always have our own activity books and crayons. If they do start to act up, I quietly take the naughty child to the bathroom and remind them of their punishment later (time out, loss of toys or privileges) if they keep it up. They understand that eating out is NOT playtime. Period. Unless we go someplace like a pizza place with games, which is rare.

At 4 and 5, they are great. Napkin in laps, sitting properly, most of the time ordering for themselves, please and thank you to the waitstaff, and so on. I often take them to high end places am complimented on their behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celina0057
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:28 AM

That sounds like a mess! 2 and 3 at the same time sound like a handful on a good day. I dont know what it is about restaurants that makes kids nuts but it happens so often. When I had my first son(now 3.5) I vowed I would not take him into a restaurant where I will be fine with him going nuts, which is all restaurants. So, I didnt. He was banned from restaurants until just after his second birthday. At that point I knew him well enough to know when he is in the mood to go and behave. If I have the smallest feeling that he may act up, we dont go. I dont feel like I am deprieving him as he doesnt need restaurant food and if I really want to go then I will find him a sitter. I will be honest, I hate dealing with tantrums and having people stare at the circus event happening at my table. My friends have brought there kids and when they freak out I hate it. If we are anywhere and he starts meltigng down, we leave. There is no place that we have been that it isnt a big deal if we leave. This has happened 2 times in his life and I think thats a pretty good record. I have a 4 month old son now and again, we will not be frequenting restaurants for a few years with both kids until I am comfortable that they will not melt down. Its the small price I pay for my sanity.

So, my advice is to not put yourself in that situation until you know they know how to behave in a restaurant. I know it sounds like sucky advice but that is just what I do and it worked for us. I hope you have a great new years:)

michiganmom5150
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM
2 moms liked this
My kids don't act like that because I don't allow it. I have taken them wherever we have gone since birth. They sit and have good table manners. My ds4 even puts his napkin in his lap...I get comments from other diners on how well behaved my children are. Now, at home, it's a different story, but they know better than to act a fool out at a restaurant or store for that matter. Being a single mom, you have to keep them in line when you have no backup.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tiarra7022
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM

My 4yr old acts up everytime we go somewhere. Unless his dad is there then he attempts to calm down some. I dont even take them to mcdonalds due to his crazy behavior. Most of it is normal kid stuff but I also dont want to ruin someone elses meal due to my kid. I have boxed up my food lots of times and left

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM
2 moms liked this
No booster seats and strap them in to high chairs. Keep them busy with crayons and coloring books, or a
Tablet with a game.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busymom64064
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Same with us. My son is 3yrs old (I only have 1 child). We bring several cars and stuff that are kept IN the car for restaurants only. This way he isn't bored with toys he sees everyday. We go out to eat 2 to 3 times a week.
He knows the rules when we go out to eat, but we do have those days once in awhile. When he does act up, I pick him up, take him in the bathroom, and make him stand in the stall by himself until he stops crying. Of course, I'm standing right outside the stall door so he can see that I am still there. When he stops, I talk to him on why he ended up in the bathroom in the first place and why we don't act that way. He is usually great after that. I think we have only left a restaurant twice since he was born due to his behavior. Now sometimes all I have to mention is standing in the bathroom and he straightens right up lol. Kids are definitely frustrating, but it is all about figuring out what works for you.

Quoting BramblePatch:

(((hugs)))

I find that NOT avoiding those places is the key. My kids are at nice sit down restaurants 2-3 times a week and they know the rules....but I have taken them since infancy. When they were a little younger I always had a few small toys to occupy them. Now I always have our own activity books and crayons. If they do start to act up, I quietly take the naughty child to the bathroom and remind them of their punishment later (time out, loss of toys or privileges) if they keep it up. They understand that eating out is NOT playtime. Period. Unless we go someplace like a pizza place with games, which is rare.

At 4 and 5, they are great. Napkin in laps, sitting properly, most of the time ordering for themselves, please and thank you to the waitstaff, and so on. I often take them to high end places am complimented on their behavior.

busymom64064
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Also I forgot to add........OP, as much as it sucks hearin this, avoiding taking them out to eat all together is probably not the best thing. If you don't take them out then you can't teach them how to properly act when dining out/going out in public. They won't learn. When you take them out, they get used to everything and learn proper behavior. Its not going to happen over night, it will take some time. How long? I don't know, but eventually they will get the hnt.
ohmandy
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM

we've never had serious problems with ds but i do agree with others that having a 2 AND 3 y/o together can be chaotic!!! hopefully they settle down!!!

amy1763
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM

We separate them. Each parent takes care of 1 kid. Its hard so we dont do it too often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)