Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

my son is two years old and chooses not to talk. advice needed.

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son will be 2 on January 5th. He is my 3rd baby and is my only boy. His sisters are 5 and 9. He has words like (dog,me,bye,bath,yeah,mama,Dada,Nana, and a few Spanish words,book.) Makes car sounds. But hardly uses these words. He understands everything I tell him. He knows all his body parts in English and Spanish. But I don't understand why he wont use them. He points and uses his baby language and I understand him. When he gets hurt he trys to tell me what happened. For example (his sister hit him. He will run to me with his serious face and point to the place he got hurt and says Nana and points to the spot.) Nana is his sister. Doctor says he is fine. And I believe he is fine I just wish he talked alittle more. His sisters talked very early. And my friends kids younger then him talk. My nephew started talking around 3ish. And I have heard that boys develop a little slower. Has anyone went through something like this with any of their kids?
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blissfulmama80
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I do think that boys can sometimes not talk as early as girls... I think especially when they have older siblings that sometimes "talk" for them.  I wouldn't be worried at all if he seems to understand and can make himself understood.  I'm sure in time he will decide that talking will get his point across that much faster.  :)  My brother pretty much just grunted and pointed until he was about three years old.  LOL  But he's a very smart/normal grown man, now.  

I'm not sure if what to do in your case, though... I suppose you could tell him that you don't understand what he means unless he uses words... or give him the words... when he comes to you pointing, you can say "What is that... your head?"  "Your sister hit you in the head?" so that he hears, in actual words, what he is trying to communicate by pointing (and maybe you already do that).  I'd guess... that he'll just start talking when he is good and ready.  :)

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I don't know about the boys developing later.  I have one of each and their language followed very similar patterns.  He may just be a late talker.  Are you raising him fully bilingual or just teachign him a few Spanish words here and there?

Sammi20
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter tried that I used to have to tell her "You will Not get what you want until you use your words and tell me what you want!" If she told me I'd get it. If she didn't I would walk away. Then she would chase after me grunting I'd say "Use your words" eventually she would give up and just tell me lol Now she always just says it. She is 2.

Wydowness
by Kusabi on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM
This is the same exact situation as me but I have a DD
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hplesha
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM
My ds is 19mos and is like this. He points and tells his story in whatever language he's speaking lol. I try and make out what he's saying. He knows how to say very few words but understands what you tell him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM

My son just turned 2 and does the same thing. He's alert and communicates his needs so I'm not concerned. I think some children jsut take longer to speak. My daughter didn't really start speaking until 2 1/2 and she is a huge chatter box now!  

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Younger siblings generally talk less and later. My yds just turned 3 and his language has grown considerably over the last few months. At some point he will decide that he needs to speak to communicate effiectively. Keep offering him ways to communicate without pressure but I would say you will likely see a big jump around when he is 2.5-3 yrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3mommyandwifey
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I don't know about the boys developing later.  I have one of each and their language followed very similar patterns.  He may just be a late talker.  Are you raising him fully bilingual or just teachign him a few Spanish words here and there?

Full bilingual so he hears a lot of both languages. And understand what we say in both.
3mommyandwifey
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Quoting Ktina11:

Younger siblings generally talk less and later. My yds just turned 3 and his language has grown considerably over the last few months. At some point he will decide that he needs to speak to communicate effiectively. Keep offering him ways to communicate without pressure but I would say you will likely see a big jump around when he is 2.5-3 yrs.

Thank you. I can tell that he really wants to talk but its not coming out. So I am hoping in the next months it will come out.
cryssi_renee
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM
My DS didn't really talk until he turned 3. My DD is 20 months and had an amazing vocabulary. It really seems to be a difference between boys an girls.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN