Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Developmental questions about my 3 year old

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone. My DS turned 3 in september. I was just wondering if any moms out there with kids the same age could tell me if their little ones can catch a ball or pedal a trike or color right? So far my son can't really do any, he will try to catch a ball, but always grabs a couple seconds after it hits him. He has had his trike since March of last year, he can reach the pedals, but after a couple tries he just puts his feet on the ground and pushes it that way. When he colors, he just scribbles the whole page instead of trying to color diferent things. Just wondering if that's normal or if he should be doing some of those things already.

He has some signs of high functioning autism and I have an appointment to discuss that with his pediatrician, so I kinda wanted to know if this is something I should bring up while i'm there.

TIA

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
katie_c25
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

What I meant by color right was just if there is a page with 3 things on it for example, scribbling each thing instead of just scribbling the whole page. And I know these arent' things to base anything on, my suspicion that he has ASD is based on a long list of other things, but one aspect of asperger's can be that they are a little late with some of their motor development, so I wasn't sure if these things could be part of that, or if he was on track.

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM
My oldest ds could pedel a bike and color and draw at that age.

Middle ds can catch and pedel a bike...

So I'd sat he really isn't behind
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Here is a link to a free developmental questionnaire.  You can fill it out and then they will email you the results. 

Usually by age 36 months, they can catch a large ball, jump with both feet off the floor, balance on one foot, hold a pencil with an adult-like grasp, snip with scissors, imitate a vertical line and build a tower of six (one inch) cubes. 

When he colors, will he say that his scribble is something? Even if it doesn't look like something? 

twinsnseptember
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Sounds normal my 3 year old twins 1 can do all those things the other cant
bekalynne440
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Ds turns 4 in April. He can sometimes catch a ball and he learned to ride a tricycle this last summer. Just in the last couple of months has he started (doesn't always) coloring individual items in a picture rather than scribbling over the whole picture.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

mine cant pedal right  she did a color by number at preschool, which proves she can but usually wont my kid is speech delayed and has motor dyspraxia but no autism

mariesmama
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting katie_c25:

Thanks everybody. Seems like the pedaling is an it might start soon thing, the coloring is a be patient and wait thing, and the ball thing he's a little behind on lol. We also use the basketball size play balls. MedicMommy2, I also have a 6 year old, she tries to teach him but usually ends up getting screamed at lol. As for SPD, he does the lining things up and repetitive play things (same puzzle he's had mastered for a year and he will do it over and over for like an hour if nobody buggs him too much) so i think that points more towards autism spectrum, but he does have some sensory issues, not sure if they are part of the possible ASD or if it's seperate, but definitely something I will keep an eye on, thank you.

ot for spd? my 3 yr old has that and motor dyspraxia she sees a physical therapist in march ot hasnt even been mentioned

OBImomma
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM
My dd just turned 3 in September. She colors very good. She will go out if the lines a few times on a page but I think she does great! Better than my ds at that age.
She can catch a bigger ball but not the smaller ones. She is very teeny and can't quite reach the pedals on her bike yet. She can pedal the tricycle and she can steer the tricycle but she can't do both at the same time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Well, DS, who turned 3 in August, has trouble with all the things your DS does, although can pedal his trike, but usually prefers to do the Fred Flintstone with it. He is beginning to trace simple shapes and letters, as well as connect numbered dots to "draw" them, and sometimes looks as if he tried to scribble inside the picture, but it's still mostly scribbles. He's finally beginning to use a more appropriate grasp, but his pressure is light. Catching and throwing are hard for him. However, my son does have identified fine motor/visual motor, sensory-motor and gross motor delays (to a lesser extent). He has been in private OT for about 1.5 years, and OT through the at-risk preschool since September. So, I think it doesn't hurt to mention these things to your pedi. Can I ask what other symptoms make you think he might have Asperger's? I did think that with my son when he was younger, but not so much anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katie_c25
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Poisongirl98. Oh boy, ok, grabbing the list of "weird stuff" I just wrote out to take to his pediatrician Monday lol. For about a year and a half I have just felt like something was off with him, that was also about the time he started lining things up alot (which was normal then) and he would be doing something and suddenly stop and squat down and bounce for a while then go back to what he was doing. Then the bouncing turned into head banging when he was upset (which is when I first thought autism) and that turned into blinking repeatedly when he was upset to calm himself down, then playing with his ears or mouth, and now when he's upset he crawls around with his head rubbing on the carpet.

He also likes to walk in circles, not playing to make himself dizzy, just likes walking in circles. He has a plastic puzzle he figured out a year ago that he will litterally spend an hour doing over and over and over. And he likes lining things up, especially if he has small toys and a container that closes. He will take the toys out one at a time, line them up, then put them back in one at a time, close the container, open it, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat lol. He also has a tendancy to freak out around people. About half the time it's just people he doesn't know (except in stores, there he's fine unless someone actually talks to him) and if i want to walk past someone, I have to carry him. Other times, it's everyone, even his aunt who he sees literally almost every day. And he's not just shy, he screams and hides and goes into complete panic.

He can't stand having socks on if he doesn't have shoes on too, he flips out if someone gives him just a kiss or a hug, he has to have both. He starts screaming if someone sings along with the radio or TV. He bites, kicks, hits. He's extremely agressive when he's playing, A few times a day he goes on a crazy hyper spurt for half an hour or so that rivals his ADHD 6 year old sister's energy (this is a new development).  He likes to shake his head while he's walking (which makes me paranoid because he got my klutz gene, it doesn't need help lol) His moods go back and forth REALLY fast, he can be such a sweet little boy, hugs and kisses and love you's and sharing his food, but it's like somebody flips a switch, back and forth between sweet and holy terror, doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

As far as sensory stuff, he flips out if the sun gets in his eyes in the car (not whining about it, but screaming) or if there is loud music or a vacume cleaner. Food is the worst though, he will eat bread, pasta, mashed potatoes, some fries (he won't do tater tots), hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and bananas. And he absolutely will not do chewables, vitamins, tylenol, even smarties (those he just lines up lol).

Then there are the meltdowns. Once he starts, nothing gets him out of it, not even DH giving in and giving him what he wanted in the first place. I have tried everything, but all I can do is put him in his room until he calms down on his own, which takes about 30 min to an hour, and the next half hour, any little thing can set him off again. He screams and screaches and throws himself around, spitting, hissing, kicking, hitting, throwing anything he can get his hands on, I have never seen that much anger in a little kid before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN