Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Developmental questions about my 3 year old

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone. My DS turned 3 in september. I was just wondering if any moms out there with kids the same age could tell me if their little ones can catch a ball or pedal a trike or color right? So far my son can't really do any, he will try to catch a ball, but always grabs a couple seconds after it hits him. He has had his trike since March of last year, he can reach the pedals, but after a couple tries he just puts his feet on the ground and pushes it that way. When he colors, he just scribbles the whole page instead of trying to color diferent things. Just wondering if that's normal or if he should be doing some of those things already.

He has some signs of high functioning autism and I have an appointment to discuss that with his pediatrician, so I kinda wanted to know if this is something I should bring up while i'm there.

TIA

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
butterflycircle
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM

My son is 2 1/2 so a little younger. He cannot do these things yet. He has a trike for a yr or so and cannot pedel it, he gives up on that. He colors but it is just scribles and circles. He can catch a ball when he is expecting it, we can toss it back and forth. He isn't like super great at it but he gets the hang of it. 

Every kid is different, just keep working with him and keep it fun, don't pressure him. : )

Sigmalade
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:34 AM

My son turned 3 in May. He can peddle, but he gets lazy after awhile and uses his feet. I think that is my fault because I pushed him around too long inhis go-cart. He uses different colors on a  page, but really can't stay in the lines. One side of the page maybe blue and the other maybe red. He can catch soft medium to larger balls. I am not an outside person, but now that he will be in t-ball, I am sure he will develop faster, especially being around other kids his own age. I was concerned about my son's lack of writing and hand grip, but he works better with his babysitter in within two-three months of just tracing and playing, he improved on a lot on his handwriting and some fine motor skills.

Gweneveer
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Agreed.  

Quoting erinsmom1964:

sounds normal for a just turned 3 child

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

my son is 5 now but he still can't catch a ball well. lol and I think he was right around 3 when he started pedalling, can't remember exactly and it was only recently that he started to care about coloring well. he still scribbles sometimes.

AleaKat
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Lol my 5 year old can't catch yet. Poor baby just doesn't grasp the concept of getting in front of it. Lol

The coloring thing will come. My 5 year olds pictures were just scribble till he started kindergarten and gained focus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM

My daughter will be 4 next month.  She was able to do all of that, though she is not interested in trieks or anything.  She will pedal for about 5 minutes, get off, and call it good.  Forget trying to ride a bike with training wheels.  She has always colored really good and always held the coloring utensil the right way. He does not sound behind though, especially having just turned 3.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'm not sure.. But if you are concerned about it bring it up.

My last two are autistic, so I couldn't tell you what is and what isn't normal. All I know is what the therapists point out that is normal for my son and that we need to either encourage him to not do it or encourage him to do it differently. 

MamaDearie
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM

If it is concerning to you, bring it up. You can also contact your school district and ask them about organizations in your area that will set up an evaluation for you (free of charge). If you want to pm me with any of your concerns, feel free. Prior to being a mom, I was a special ed. teacher specializing in early intervention and early childhood. just so you know- what you have described above falls within the normal range but you know your kid and if you feel there is something going on, tell the doctor. tell the school district. Get him evaluated. If there is nothing wrong, you will feel relieved. If there is something going on, the earlier you can get him the help he needs, the better his chances of succeeding.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

DeeDee205
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My daughter will be 3 in Feb.  She can't color very well, she will focus her scribbling over the picture, but that's as good as it gets.  She's just learning to try to pedal, but that's probably more my fault since we don't get her on her trike often.  She can't catch a ball to save her life, but I think she'll be great at soccer.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Hey mama,

From the 3 things you listed, I wouldn'ty worry at all.

My son is now 5.  He learned to catch a ball around that age, but only large ones.  But even then, it wasn't all the time.  He still misses a lot LOL

Riding a trike is hard.  By the time my son was old enough to do that, the pedals were to small for him to get a good grip on.  Get him a 14 inch bike :).  I bet he will have a better time with that ;). My son got a bike at that age with training whells and it work well :).  He's just now getting to riding big wheel things.  I think his legs were just too long for trikes

And yeah, my son still colors all over the page too LOL.  Its his "art" style.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN