Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Developmental questions about my 3 year old

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone. My DS turned 3 in september. I was just wondering if any moms out there with kids the same age could tell me if their little ones can catch a ball or pedal a trike or color right? So far my son can't really do any, he will try to catch a ball, but always grabs a couple seconds after it hits him. He has had his trike since March of last year, he can reach the pedals, but after a couple tries he just puts his feet on the ground and pushes it that way. When he colors, he just scribbles the whole page instead of trying to color diferent things. Just wondering if that's normal or if he should be doing some of those things already.

He has some signs of high functioning autism and I have an appointment to discuss that with his pediatrician, so I kinda wanted to know if this is something I should bring up while i'm there.

TIA

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Replies (31-33):
Aleta775
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM

He sounds normal to me. My dd is 3 1/2 and she can catch some toys and balls, but is not really good it yet. She will scribble all over the page and doesn't color specific things yet. She also has a little trike, but her legs were a little too short for the pedals. She had to push. 

disneyrose
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Try a bigger ball then slowly work down to smaller ones, as far as riding trikes, each kid is different, my DS could peddle some things at 3 but not everything, but if he cant reach the pedals, then that is probably why he is having a hard time with it.  Also the coloring thing, are you talking about staying in the lines?  That takes practice, my DS never had any interest in staying in the lines until he started preschool.  Maybe he don't like to color?  My DS hates to color, I find it odd, my other kids loved to color.  Try getting him some puzzles that are for 3 year olds, not any other age, just the 3 year old puzzles.  Also maybe painting is his thing or markers, btw in my book if the crayons, paints or markers dont say washable then it means permanent LOL my son could paint all day if he had his way

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:59 AM

My dd2 turns 3 in April. She's been able to peddle a trike for a while but her sister riding her bicycle really helped her learn. She can catch bigger balls but it's harder for her to catch the small ones. For coloring she doesn't really stay in the lines and sometimes she'll color an entire picture purple and other times she pick and choose different things to be different colors. When she freehands sometimes she'll scribble and sometimes she'll make faces or things that are supposed to be something specific but look a lot like scribbles. Lol! I think those three things are thing many kids do at different times. A lot of it can depend on how interested they are in it or how much time they're willing to spend on that activity. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)