Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Sleepless Mom Needs Advice!!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM
  • 24 Replies

My daughter is almost 4 and she doesn't sleep through the night! She slept very well as a baby and when she turned 2 she started waking up all night. She has been doing this for 2 years now! She wakes up anywhere from1-5 times a night! She usually just cries for me or wants a drink. Most of the time I can get her right back to sleep but sometimes she's waking up every hour just crying for me! I don't know what to do! I've talked to her doctor and he said she could just be teething. But I don't think thats the reason! She doesn't say her mouth hurts or anything. This mommy needs some slepp in her life! Can anyone give me advice/ideas about how to get her to stay asleep all night?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM
4 moms liked this

Stop responding to her.  Let her know that you will not be coming in to her every time she cries.  Then follow through.

One of the reasons why she keeps doing it may be because of the attention.  She cries, you respond.  If you stop responding, she may stop crying.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My girl used to call for me to put the blanket back on her.  Some nights just once.  Some nights as many as 5 times.  It was just a habit.  But it was around age 4 that I started calling from my bed "NO...do it yourself and then close your eyes."  She kept asking for a few days and then stopped.  I'm sure she continued to wake up a few times during the night, but she learned to get back to sleep without needing face-time with me.  Good luck.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Yep, I have to agree with this.  She's 4 and you can talk to her now.  Ask her what's going on when she wakes up.   I would guess, at this point, she's waking out of habit.  I've said in other posts that a lot of times behaviors may begin for one reason but often continue for another.  Maybe in the beginning it was her 2 year molars or an illness or something but she may have gotten use to the care and attention from you so now when she rouses, she immediately asks for you vs. comforting herself back to sleep. 

I would sit her down and explain that you won't be coming in anymore.  If she cries she's going to have to put herself to sleep from now on and can use ______ to snuggle with while she goes back to sleep.  She's now aware of the new routine and when she wakes up, do not go in there.  If she leaves her room and comes to yours then don't say a word but walk her right back to bed, tuck her in, kiss her and leave.

Good luck

Quoting CLEKate:

Stop responding to her.  Let her know that you will not be coming in to her every time she cries.  Then follow through.

One of the reasons why she keeps doing it may be because of the attention.  She cries, you respond.  If you stop responding, she may stop crying.

LML1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I put a dvd player and tv in my dd's room along with a sippy cup of water. Once the gate goes up on her door she has to stay in her bedroom except if she has to go to the potty. We prepare for bed time routine at 6 pm she goes in her room at 8pm. She falls asleep by 8:30pm

ProudMommie86
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice ladies! Unfortunetly I have tried letting her cry it out and it doesn't work. She will cry for hours. We live in an apartment and the bedrooms are right next to each other.....so even when I let her cry we are still not getting any sleep. She has a night light and a cuddle buddy. I've tried keeping the TV on. I keep a drink on her night stand. I've tried talking to her asking her why she's waking up and she says "because your not here and I get scared". I've asked her if she's having bad dreams and she says no. But a friend did tell me it could be night terrors. Has anyone dealt with night terrors before?  I don't know what to do at this point. I'm lucky if I get 2 hours of sleep a night.

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM

My son had night terrors just before he turned 1. He would thrash about his bed and scream. The pedi said not to wake him during them as it could cause him to be more scared. We were advised to just make sure he was safe, but try not to touch him.

We've gone through a couple of I'm scared phases with him. We remind him that we are right accross the hall. We also tell him he's such a big boy and we want him to try to be brave if he gets scared. However, if he gets too scared he can come get us. When he gets in our bed, I expect him to lay down and go back to sleep. If he's chatty or hyper, he can either close his eyes and be quiet or go back to his room.

ProudMommie86
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Thanks! I had another talk with her tonight before she layed down. Hopefully this ends soon.... whatever it is.

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM

try feeding her a bowl of oatmeal (real not baby kind) before bed she might be hungry. nightmares are a possibility 2

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM

ignore her. Dont go in there. She will go back to sleep

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM

This

Quoting CLEKate:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN