Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I need so much help... My 3 year old can be such a monster!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM
  • 4 Replies

My 3 year old boy is so amazing!  He is super smart and creative and fun!

I have stayed home with him during the day since he was born.  But the past year I have started working from home a bit.  I make clothing and wigs. 

I don't know even where to start.... When he is bad.. he is completely out of control.. but not in the normal ways I hear or see about.  As soon as my back is turned he is in the kitchen in the fridge feeding our groceries to the dogs or dumping out milk. And this isn't limited to during the day!  He will wake up in the middle of the night to destroy my kitchen and my house with food items.. I woke up one morning to cinnamon sugar dumped ALL OVER my house.. Yesterday it was baby powder from my makeup which I still don't know how he got into it! 

We tried baby proofing.  He has broken 2 baby gates by smashing into them and breaking them open. So we bought a mainly metal gate and he managed to render that useless as well.  Refrigerator straps worked for a minute but the kid can smash a baby gate.. the adhesive didn't stand a chance.. then he just got into the dry goods anyways.

He also will NOT stay in his room at night! EVER!  He is always waking up at about 2 or 3 am to get up and cause destruction around the house!!!!   Again we tried all kinds of Baby proofing knobs and what not.. but he managed to get them all off.  We even super glued them to one of the doors (by accident).  We tried duct taping them together so he couldn't pry them off.  Its really quite insane.  Nothing works.

I now have to sleep on the sofa in the living room so I  know when he gets up in the middle of the night so i can send him back to bed only to be woken up again 10 minutes later. 

I work at a Bar on the weekends and don't get home till 3am so this gets soooo exhausting!  So much so that normally I cant even get up and am totally exhausted. 

He always accepts his punishment but then turns around 20 minutes later and does it AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! 

I just started sending him outside to play when I have to work so I can still see him but he can only destroy the back yard.. he has now taken to pulling things from the garage outside and ruining those.

I know most of this stems from curiosity.. But as much as I would LOVE to play with him all day every day we still have bills that need paying and since I stay home with him I have to work when I can. 

If anyone has any advice or super awesome baby proofing methods please help.  This has been going on for about 6 months and I have been WAITING for him to grow out of it or SOMETHING.. but no signs yet. 

Thanks Moms!!!!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
amonkeymom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

It sounds like you could use some help!  Have you considered hiring a *mother's helper* to help keep an eye on him and give him attention during the day while you're working?  That way you can at least get some work done and it might tire him out more so that he's sleeping better at night.

Quoting Tattooedmommy93:

My 3 year old boy is so amazing!  He is super smart and creative and fun!

I have stayed home with him during the day since he was born.  But the past year I have started working from home a bit.  I make clothing and wigs. 

I don't know even where to start.... When he is bad.. he is completely out of control.. but not in the normal ways I hear or see about.  As soon as my back is turned he is in the kitchen in the fridge feeding our groceries to the dogs or dumping out milk. And this isn't limited to during the day!  He will wake up in the middle of the night to destroy my kitchen and my house with food items.. I woke up one morning to cinnamon sugar dumped ALL OVER my house.. Yesterday it was baby powder from my makeup which I still don't know how he got into it! 

We tried baby proofing.  He has broken 2 baby gates by smashing into them and breaking them open. So we bought a mainly metal gate and he managed to render that useless as well.  Refrigerator straps worked for a minute but the kid can smash a baby gate.. the adhesive didn't stand a chance.. then he just got into the dry goods anyways.

He also will NOT stay in his room at night! EVER!  He is always waking up at about 2 or 3 am to get up and cause destruction around the house!!!!   Again we tried all kinds of Baby proofing knobs and what not.. but he managed to get them all off.  We even super glued them to one of the doors (by accident).  We tried duct taping them together so he couldn't pry them off.  Its really quite insane.  Nothing works.

I now have to sleep on the sofa in the living room so I  know when he gets up in the middle of the night so i can send him back to bed only to be woken up again 10 minutes later. 

I work at a Bar on the weekends and don't get home till 3am so this gets soooo exhausting!  So much so that normally I cant even get up and am totally exhausted. 

He always accepts his punishment but then turns around 20 minutes later and does it AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! 

I just started sending him outside to play when I have to work so I can still see him but he can only destroy the back yard.. he has now taken to pulling things from the garage outside and ruining those.

I know most of this stems from curiosity.. But as much as I would LOVE to play with him all day every day we still have bills that need paying and since I stay home with him I have to work when I can. 

If anyone has any advice or super awesome baby proofing methods please help.  This has been going on for about 6 months and I have been WAITING for him to grow out of it or SOMETHING.. but no signs yet. 

Thanks Moms!!!!

JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

What are his punishments?   Are you being super consistent every single time? 

How often does he get out of the house?  While I think there are things that can be done to control his behavior, making sure he is not too bored all of the time can be a big factor in that.  Go for a walk right before bedtime and tire him out, make the grocery store an adventure for him...  find some rewards that involve getting out of the house and doing something fun for being good while you work. 

Our 3 year old can leap over even the tallest baby gate, so we tried a different tactic.  When I NEED him to stay in his room...while I shower, deal with something urgent or just need 10 minutes to myself we hang a red ribbon across his doorway at his chest level.  The Red Line means stop (and we introduced the concept by reading "Go Dogs, Go" about a hundred times.   If he stays on his side of the red line for the whole time (ive never tried to make him go for more than 30 minutes before, but even that is an excellent break for me) then he gets a reward, usually a couple chocolate chips.  

3lovesall
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

does he ever get out of the house or have friends to play with from time to time? sounds like he is bored.. and him destroying things is where he finds entertainment. do you have him on any schedule? 

Tattooedmommy93
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

He does have 2 friends. Unfortunatly one of them lives a solid hour away and the other is my bosses son and our work schedules never come together right.  They both are also " mentally disabled" so I know the gaps in which they are able to play will close really soon. 

He does have a schedule and things to play with/pets/ etc.  This is quite litterally as soon as I have my back turned.

He gets a time out in the time out box we have taped on the floor.  3 minutes every time, he always sits in it and says hes sorry at the end.  My husband is not so consistant but Im home with him mostly and deal with most of the punishments. 

I love the ribbon idea!  But he is so stubborn that even rewards dont work.  I can't get him to help out or "do the right thing" with rewards or punishments.. I am really at a loss

He has never gotten "out" of the house.. the first time we saw him open the front door we deadbolted the very very top so he cant reach.  There was no way we were chancing that! 

After a disaster of a night last night I am heading to home depot for more deadbolts.  2.5 hours of sleep and i feel horrible.  And I know he will be absolutely un-managable today.

Thank you EVERYONE! For your suggestions and help with this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN