Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

"Eating the same thing over and over again!"

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

My 4 year old LOVES chicken nuggets and that is the ONLY thing that he will really eat. Everyday it's "Chicken Nuggets." Should I be worried? My 14 year old never did that.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlbelknap35
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM
My 3 year old used to eat everything, now I can only some days get him to eat cereal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Its totally normal.  Kids will do that, and then after a while they will get tired of that food and go onto somethign else.  I would serve other healthy  foods with it :).

babowes
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Yes that is a little crazy. Maybe cut dwn on the number slowly? Good luck!!??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
squeakers2
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM
My 6 yr old SS has been like that size about 4 yrs old. Chicken nuggets and peanut butter sandwiches are mainly all he eats. Fruits and veggies were go to foods also. We started to get him to branch out, then for some reason he regressed. When that happened, he also stopped eating mac and cheese, certain veggies, and a few other things. Just recently we have gotten him to branch out some more again. Now we can get him to eat chicken in other forms, turkey, ham and cheese sandwiches. We can usually get him to eat mac and cheese now. Peas he refuses to eat. The only reason it bothered us was bc it affected what our DD ate bc she wanted to be like her brother.

Just give him a multivitamin and offer other food with it. We would tell him he had to try one bite of other foods. If he didn't like it, he had to voice this to us (was another problem we had. He was just sit there and cry instead of talking to us) and discuss an alternative. We keep things like celery and baby carrots in stock for that reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Is requesting chicken nuggets every day?  Or is eating chicken nuggets every day? 

Wanting to have, or asking for nuggets every time his mouth is open is no big deal, imho, but fulfilling that request every time its made IS a problem.  Even if you are making home made organic nuggets from chickens you plucked out of your own yard breaded chicken is not enough to sustain a healthy diet, and if your buying frozen nuggets...well, you know whats in those. 

When my current foster son arrived at my house he only seemed to know about two foods: hot dogs and Coke.  Thats what he asked for at every single meal and snack and any other time he opened his mouth "Want coke hot dog, want coke hot dog!"   

The first night we did have a hot dog with our milk and I set out a few other things that he did not touch and we did not address.   On the second night we had something else, and on the third night we offered another different food and so on.     Every couple of days we would let him have a hot dog, but when the package was empty we did not buy more.  Every meal that was served he tried to exchange for a hot dog and a coke, and when that did not work he started eating.  Not he eats like a champ and as long as he does not know there are hot dogs in the house is just fine with salad, veg soup, squash, pizza or whatever else we make. 

laughnchica
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Our 3 year old did this with corn dogs. All she ever wanted was corn dogs but it was mostly asking. There was one day for lunch she told me she wanted corn dogs and that was it. I told her that we aren't having corn dogs but this (whatever lunch was that day). She proceeded to tell me that she won't eat that, only corn dogs. I just left her lunch in front of her and gave her an hour to eat it or not. She chose not to and so had to wait until snack time to eat..about two hours later (she had had breakfast and morning snack) and she hasn't refused to eat since. She still asks for corn dogs but it is much more reasonable and not every day lol.

Kids' favorite foods will change. I am sure his will change too but I would not just give in and let him ONLY eat chicken nuggets. Offer other things for meals and snacks or something. And maybe eat things with him and let him see that trying new foods with mommy can lead to more favorite foods .

StrawberryCool
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM

nothing to be worried about. 

addison went through the same stage. 

now it's the 

"i'm not hungry." 

StrawberryCool
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Quoting corrinacs:

Its totally normal.  Kids will do that, and then after a while they will get tired of that food and go onto somethign else.  I would serve other healthy  foods with it :).

you can serve them, doesn't mean he is going to eat them

corrinacs
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

LOL, I know that feeling.  In that case, I did my due diligence.

I have one of those children, that if you attempt to feed him stuff he really doesn't want, he will just not eat.....for days on end :/.  And he doesn't weigh hardly anything......but he's built like a basketball player.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

Quoting corrinacs:

you can serve them, doesn't mean he is going to eat them

calvinsmommy18
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

thats how my 4 yr old used to be, luckily weve been able to introduce some new foods in, like hot dogs, mac and cheese, smokey links, eggs, peanut butter sandwiches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN