Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool vs Public School "Help!"

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

So if money is tight in your family and your child doesnt qualify for school(agewise) yet would you homeschool them at first? & There's the debate wether public schools are of good quality when it comes to education and wether they compare with Homeschooling and or Private school....

What do you mom's think?

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmgriffberg
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

since ds was born i have dreamed about the day he would be old enough to home school. he has a sensory processing disorder and a speech delay so he qualified this ear for early childhood (they do all the therapies he needs. he goes to school 4 days a week for 2 hrs each day). they go over colors and stuff like that but its not about that its about the kids getting the therapy they need. he was 3.5 when he started in september. i figured we would get him the therapy and then when he no longer needed it we would do homeschooling. in November at parent teacher conferences we were told that he is excelling. he cognitively knows more than most of the kids in pre-k. now that he is able to verbalise more we are seeing just how smart he is. he thrives in a classroom setting. we are part of a great school district so my husband and i decided that for him, public or private schools would be best...that he will get more out of it than he would if home schooled. we dont have the $ for privet and since we have an awesome school district we will keep him in that school. when my dd (18 months) is older we will try to figure out where she will thrive best. i was so set in all my kids will be home schooled...but now i realize we need to do what is right for each child individually.
hope that answers your question

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I look at the actual school my child will be attending I don't think it is fair to lump all public schools as bad. My child's school(public) is really good and I am very fortunate that we have a couple of options to choose from near us with excellent score and reviews. If I wasn't comfortable with the public school choices and absolutely could not afford private then I would obviously homeschool but would be a last resort for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM

i wasn't impressed with our public option for preschool.  it was a class held at a high school which seemed more like an early education program for the high schoolers than a quality start for my child.  we live in a fantastic school district and our elementary school is top notch but the preschool is just a whole different program and it wasn't for us.  We chose a private Montessori that's been amazing for both of my kids.   my son is in public K now and i feel blessed that we are able to send him to such a fantastic elementary school.

i'm not the official homeschooling type though.  if i couldn't have afforded private school for preschool we would have continued doing what we were doing (learning thru play, etc) and then started public in K.

doulala
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM

If your child doesn't qualify for school then what it is you want your child to learn & why?
How old is your child?

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

So are we talking about pre school?

My daughter qualified for pre school and went. The only things that they did in pre school was work on writing their names, learn the ABC's, and they had a little book they needed to "read" each week (it was just memorizing not actually reading). I know they actually did more but my daughter didn't want to do the work and wanted to play more and they were ok with that. They tried to get her to do more but didn't push her to do it. She was really great in the social area. 

My son is now 2 1/2 and we are going to "home school" until he is ready for school. When it is time for pre school Idk if we will put him in a school. The only real reason would be the social aspect b/c he doens't play with kids his age and so it would be good for him to do. I also think that it is a good transition b/c pre school in just a few hours ( like 2 1/2- 3) where kinder. is all day long. 

I would love to just home school my kids but I am to afraid of me holding them back b/c i don't know what I am doing.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I PROUDLY send my kids to amazing public schools.

I never entertained either homeschooling or private schools for them.

Why would I when they receive an excellent education around the corner paid for with my tax dollars?

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I don't think It's fair to lump every school in the mix. There's good schools and bad schools. Some children do great in public school, some do not.

If we are talking about preschool there's lots of activities you can do with your child that don't cost much or are even free. Pinterest has lot of little preschool activities, there's homeschool boards and pins on there.

We homeschool DS, I spent about $100-$150 on books and what not. I know people who spend less and I know people who spend 4 times what I did.
He's in second/third grade but does do some work that's advanced for his age. But I wanted the workbooks and such. Technically if I didn't have the money, it would be easy to just write the math work down on regular paper, Ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

There are so many people that homeschool differently. I would love to do it just to keep my babies home with me if i could. But im not selfish( this is the reason that i would homeschool).. They get a great education in public school and the main thing is being able to interact with other poeple and kids. We cant shelter them forever. They need to learn to live in the world that is theirs when we are gone. My daughter loves her pre-school. She has never really been around any other kids her own age and i wanted her to learn how to be around kids before kindergarten. So glad i did.  She needed it. She is in the 5th month of school now and we have been though alot with her. Learning that she has ADHD and its nice to know that now before she went to kindergarten and it was worse.

Roo1234
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM
It really depends on where the public school is located. There are some amazing public schools, some horrible private ones and vice versa. There are some parents who homeschool kids beyond compare and some who fail. You have take these situations on case by case.

I really don't consider it homeschooling until the child is at least 6 or 7 years old because there are a lot of families who don't use preschools regardless of future choices.
BramblePatch
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM
We homeschool and plan to for the duration. I have too many reasons to list. However, at the preschool age, kids don't need to go to school or be "homeschooled". You just do what good parents do...work on letters, numbers, writing, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)