Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Daycare Potty Training

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

DS is 27 months old & is potty trained at home, but refuses to go at daycare.  The daycare workers tell me that they take him every 2 hours & he'll sit on the potty (they've tried every toilet, every potty seat, and little toilet they have), but he won't go.  They've also tried having him stand, and he doesn't go.  Today, we took the little frog potty that he used to train at home - and they said he didn't go on it today (hopefully later this week will show improvement, but I'm not holding my breath).

Has anyone else run in to this?  An at home potty trained kid, that won't go at the daycare/sitter.  Any advice??  I'm all ears at this point and willing to try just about anything!

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Is he in diapers/pull-ups and going in those or just holding it all day?

bioteach
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Their policy is after one accident he has to go in pull-ups.  So, I send him in underwear but after one accident, he is in the pull-ups.  He just goes in those.  I think he gets busy playing & doesn't necessarily recognize the urge, while he's there.  And I understand it is probably a little more difficult for him to listen to his body there.  But, when they do take him, he just won't go......which I don't understand.  I'm not sure if they are taking him right after an accident - which would pretty much defeat the point.  According to their policy, they take kids that are training every 2 hours, or whenever they ask to go.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Sorry I don't know.  There were a couple of kids who did this while in child care and their parents were baffled why they wouldn't go potty at daycare.  We had to explain that for some children, they won't go anywhere but home.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM

They need to take them more often.  When I worked in the potty training room, we sent them every hour/hour and a half at the latest before any accidents. If he's peeing in his pull-up during the two hours they haven't taken him, that's why he isn't going in the potty.

Quoting bioteach:

Their policy is after one accident he has to go in pull-ups.  So, I send him in underwear but after one accident, he is in the pull-ups.  He just goes in those.  I think he gets busy playing & doesn't necessarily recognize the urge, while he's there.  And I understand it is probably a little more difficult for him to listen to his body there.  But, when they do take him, he just won't go......which I don't understand.  I'm not sure if they are taking him right after an accident - which would pretty much defeat the point.  According to their policy, they take kids that are training every 2 hours, or whenever they ask to go.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Could it be that he's embarrased to go at school?  I had a hard time (and still do) doing #2 in public bathrooms....don't know why, I just do.

So, somehow getting over that "fear" may help :)

bioteach
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

They have found that if they put him on the toilet, and leave the stall of the bathroom he'll go.  We think that sometimes he gets so wrapped up in playing that he doesn't recognize the urge to go.  He's getting better about going, but still has accients here and there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)