Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My son is 2.5 and not potty trained. I thought i could start at 2 and a half and send him to preschool this August at 3. My DH has been blessed with finding a a full time job and I'm working days as well. Our other children are school aged so they are taken care of. when they were younger my mom kept them. She is in poor health now and cant do it. With our hours he will need care from 7am to 5pm...That's a LONG day for an adult, let alone a 2 year old. Its also expensive...anyone have stories on how they managed???

"Believe with all of your heart that you will do what you were made to do."
-Orison Swett Marden

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
bloomsr
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM
My advice is this: quit your job. Find evening work as a waitress. Start cutting back on eating out, buy used clothing, books and toys. Sacrifice what you need to of you are uncomfortable with being away from your young child all day.

It is doable. Good luck to you.
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It's doable.

Do TONS of research and get referrals.  Don't go to the least expensive place just because it's the least expensive.  Visit each and every one and make sure you choose a daycare with an open door policy so you can pop in at any time.  When you visit, I would bring your son with you so he can see it too and you can see how he interacts with the other kids and the teachers.  They will show you the room he's going to be in and introduce you to the teacher so it's a great opportunity for you to get a feel of what is going on and gauge the kids there and for your son to see it as well.  Ask questions and think you are ever asking too many.  A well-informed parent will make the best decision for their child. 

Make sure you are comfortable with the place you choose and your son will be fine.  After the initial adjustment period, you'll find that he'll like it and look forward to going.  It's a good opportunity for him to interact and socialize and learn and make friends. 

ramblinmama
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine go from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. 3 days a week. They both have gone since they were 2 months old. They love it and we have a good routine. We are in a center now but did in-home for 3 years. I would suggest you find a good in-home daycare. It will be just like being at home for your little one, except he will have friends to play with in a structured environment.  It'll be difficult adjusting to it, but once you do, you will see all the advantages of it. Good luck!!

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Thankfully I have been able to bring DD to work with me since I returned from maternity leave. The one little perk of working for family. But as of late, my Mom has been really pushing daycare. DD will be 2 on the 26th, so her fees would be considerablly less than when she was pushing it last summer. But, with my and SO's budget, it's still too much. I work 10am - 5/5:30 pm Monday - Friday, but to have her there for daily activities and on "their" schedule she would have to be there no later than 8:30/9am.

I have been with DD every day of her life (aside from the nights she stays with a Grandparent, or home with SO), so to have her in daycare all day is a lot for me to come to terms with and be comfortable. Not to mention, I've worked in a daycare, not everyone is as sweet and honest as they want you to think. I don't know what I would do if something happened to DD because of something a teacher did or didn't do while in daycare.

CafeMom Tickers
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Bump

NiCo86
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was in day care from 7:45am-5:15pm M-F for around a year (we work a different schedule now) and he adjusted JUST fine. He actually enjoys day care, he loves interacting with the other kids, and can't wait to see me to tell me all about his adventures. You adjust, and learn to take advantage of what time you do have together with your kids.

Just be sure to do your research on day cares, interview interview interview!, and pop in periodically (say, if you get an hour lunch break or something). If you ever feel something is not quite right, start looking for a new day care (I'm a firm believer in gut instincts).

Other than that :) best of luck

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish I could help.

My story isn't a pretty one. It was just the wrong daycare. I ended up staying home with my son. He is also autistic, so that made it a lot harder as well.

Good luck.

Just keep looking for one that you like. Then call often

mabreenuh
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Thank you all so much for the encouragement and advice. I was the sole provider until November, when thank God, my DH found a full time job. My job still covers 80% of our expenses and allows for our children to go to school in one of the top districts. Otherwise I'd have quit a long time ago. 

Just have to pray and trust that he will be okay. I'm sure he will love to be around other kids.  

mabreenuh
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bloomsr:

My advice is this: quit your job. Find evening work as a waitress. Start cutting back on eating out, buy used clothing, books and toys. Sacrifice what you need to of you are uncomfortable with being away from your young child all day.

It is doable. Good luck to you.

i would if it were that easy.  I was the sole provider until November, when thank God, my DH found a full time job. My job still covers 80% of our expenses and allows for our children to go to school in one of the top districts. Otherwise I'd have quit a long time ago. 

Just have to pray and trust that he will be okay. I'm sure he will love to be around other kids.  

mabreenuh
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Quoting MamaDearie:

If the daycare is going to be very expensive and you are worried about lweaving him for such a long time- is it worth it for you to continue working? How much of your check will go to daycare? Just something to consider.

My salary pays for 80 % of our family of 5 expenses, or I'd have quit a long time ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN