Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is 2.5 and not potty trained. I thought i could start at 2 and a half and send him to preschool this August at 3. My DH has been blessed with finding a a full time job and I'm working days as well. Our other children are school aged so they are taken care of. when they were younger my mom kept them. She is in poor health now and cant do it. With our hours he will need care from 7am to 5pm...That's a LONG day for an adult, let alone a 2 year old. Its also expensive...anyone have stories on how they managed???

"Believe with all of your heart that you will do what you were made to do."
-Orison Swett Marden

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Replies (21-30):
mabreenuh
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Quoting January1964:

Mine is in from 9--4. Can you get slightly different work hours?

I used to work nights, but my job has mandatory shift rotations. My Husband started working days and now i must work days too. but good news! My sister is off on Thurs so she will keep him that day and I'm off friday, so he only has to do 3 days. I also found a school through my aunt. Her friend runs the day care and my cousin who is now 22 yrs old went there when she was a toddler. So things are looking up.  :)

January1964
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Quoting mabreenuh:

Quoting January1964:

Mine is in from 9--4. Can you get slightly different work hours?

I used to work nights, but my job has mandatory shift rotations. My Husband started working days and now i must work days too. but good news! My sister is off on Thurs so she will keep him that day and I'm off friday, so he only has to do 3 days. I also found a school through my aunt. Her friend runs the day care and my cousin who is now 22 yrs old went there when she was a toddler. So things are looking up.  :)

Good, good!

mattsmate
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

DD is in DC/Pre-School from 6a-5p so I can sympathize but other than being cranky some mornings, she does great.  And, they are helping with potty training (she does better for them than for us).  
Both my DH and I commute at least 45 min and she is near home. It is hard but you have to do what you have to do and she loves her school.

Wife to Matt (7/12/09) and mommy to Samara (10/2012)

big smile mini

Asenath
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
try looking on care.com. I care for kids in my own home, and I am cheap lol. That does not affect how much I care for the kids I watch, I do it because I understand budgets. This is how I am able to stay home with my son. You can find any type of care you need on care.com, background check, etc. I have seen people even have sitters come over for a few hours, a couple days a week when they are home so they can see them interact with their kids. You can also have someone come to your home, then your little one will still be in their own setting and will help make the day not so long.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
witchybabymomma
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I get daycare assistance so while I still struggle to pay it's at least a little easier. To be more comfortable if you do decide on daycare interview several and make sure you tour the facility several times at different times of day. I am kinda an over protective mom so I still call everyday on break just to check on my son also LOL

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM
maybe send ur child to half day day care of 2 or 3 days week other times grandma can watch . give her time to her self .day care is not that bad.
mabreenuh
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Quoting mattsmate:

DD is in DC/Pre-School from 6a-5p so I can sympathize but other than being cranky some mornings, she does great.  And, they are helping with potty training (she does better for them than for us).  
Both my DH and I commute at least 45 min and she is near home. It is hard but you have to do what you have to do and she loves her school.

agreed. we gotta do what we gotta do...I'm in a much better place since I've posted this. There's good and bad. I planned on sending him to preschool in August (He'd be 3) anyway...just going a little sooner.

ravvensmom1313
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I went to daycare when I was little and if I had a job thats where ny Dr would be I know it helped me and my sister we made some life long friends and it made the time we had with our mom and daddy special to use and when I got older I loved helping out with the younger kids with homework 

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a long day, but if you have found a GOOD daycare, don't worry. They will take care of your baby. :) It'll probably be hard for both of you at first, but once he gets adjusted it'll be easier. And a good daycare will help with potty training also. 

I've worked in child care for 5 years & I love it. I take good care of my daycare babies. :) 

EskimoKisses4Me
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Daycare isn't so bad.. I started working in a daycare when I was 18, it was the daycare I had went to when I was younger, from 5 weeks to 10 years old, I loved it!! When I started working I was a teacher in the toddler room, 18 months - 36 months.. My opinion, the toddler room is the best room to work in, they are so fun!! I've also been a teacher in the infant room and the Preschool room.. I've loved them all!!

We gave daily reports, potty reports and meal reports (Morning snack, Breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack). We also had to write out lesson plans, and have it up where the parents could see it. Our room had a new theme every two weeks and the kids did at least two crafts a day, one if it was a big craft. We had nap time and free play.. When I started working there I added in Signing Time and tought my toddlers (ASL) American Sign Language. We sent home papers that showed the parents how to do the signs as well so they could learn with their child/children if they wanted..

So, daycare really isn't so bad, you just need to find a place or a person that you are comfortable with and that your Little One likes as well..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)