Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is 2.5 and not potty trained. I thought i could start at 2 and a half and send him to preschool this August at 3. My DH has been blessed with finding a a full time job and I'm working days as well. Our other children are school aged so they are taken care of. when they were younger my mom kept them. She is in poor health now and cant do it. With our hours he will need care from 7am to 5pm...That's a LONG day for an adult, let alone a 2 year old. Its also expensive...anyone have stories on how they managed???

"Believe with all of your heart that you will do what you were made to do."
-Orison Swett Marden

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Replies (31-39):
xoxRachelxox
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

What about a preschool? Then at least they'd be in a classroom type setting and would learn probably more than at a daycare.

The preschool my kids go to also help them learn to potty train.

xoxRachelxox
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Sorry, I was confused. Your title says daycare and then the post says preschool.

xoxRachelxox
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I think preschool breaks up their day pretty well. It depends on the school of course but most have blocks of time that they do certain things in. They are used to having kids all day and know that it's a long day for them. They try to do what they can to make it easier.

mabreenuh
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM
@ xoxRachelxox Where I am preschool is 3-5 yrs old. At 2 its daycare. Its in the same place and because his day is so long I see it as daycare. The terms aren't my concern for this post, pretty much interchangable at his age. He starts pre school Aug (that's the plan)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mabreenuh
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Its more about him having to go sooner than I'd planned, for much longer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatplanetweon
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I've worked since my son was 8 months old...my parents cant watch him during the day because they still work and no help from his 'father'..so he's been in daycare since. So far so good. He seems to love it and it gets him out with other kids and learning...however some days i feel bad because I think should I be spending this time with him instead of working etc etc.... but he likes it. :D I still miss him though when Im at work...

whatplanetweon
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM

He's a little over 2 years now :D

Quoting whatplanetweon:

I've worked since my son was 8 months old...my parents cant watch him during the day because they still work and no help from his 'father'..so he's been in daycare since. So far so good. He seems to love it and it gets him out with other kids and learning...however some days i feel bad because I think should I be spending this time with him instead of working etc etc.... but he likes it. :D I still miss him though when Im at work...

Sagely
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Dd has been in daycare since she was 6 weeks old. She's now almost 5. It has been such a blessing for us.

The teachers are like extensions of our family, reassuring us that dd is normal like the other kids her age, needs some help when she falls behind, and when she's more advanced than her peers. They give us tips and advice anytime we ask...it's sooo nice to have help!

Shoot, she gets to play with her friends all day every day! What kid doesn't want that? LoL

They also go on field trips, learn how to line up, wait their turn, how to react to fire drills, share, etc.

Yes there are daycare horror stories. But I really do believe there are far more instances where families LOVE their care providers. We're just not compelled to post about it...think about it, most of the posts on this site are fueled by anger, worry, or sadness.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:39 PM

So true. 

Quoting Whitney15:

I completely understand your feelings! I work in a childcare. My first suggestion is pay what you can. If you try to go cheaper, you get crappier care. Sucks, but it's the truth. I'm not sure where you live, but

Quote:

in OKlahoma, the more training and schooling you have, the more you are required to charge

. I work in a childcare where the weekly rate for a 2.5 year old is $150. 

Look around for people. Ask around for referrals. You want to find a place that doesn't have a lot of turnover in staff OR children. I have worked at my job for 5 years, and the kids that we sent to school this year are the same kids that we got as babies. You want to make sure they're licensed. Personally, as a mom, I would want to find a place that has an open door policy. That means you are welcome to come at any time you want. 

Don't worry about your son either. He will love it! If he is in a good place, he will be stimulated all day with activities and other kids. It is always way harder for the parent than for the kid..if he has a hard time wathcing you leaving the first 2 or 3 days, don't worry..that is completely normal. If he is in a good place, they will reassure him throughout the day that mom or dad will be coming back. Most kids I've seen will cry until about 10 seconds after their parent walks out of the door! Most of the time, it's just a show for you lol!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)