Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Home Preschooling

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

We recently pulled our five year old from preschool and decided to teach her at home.  I was just curious if other mothers were home schooling their preschoolers if so, what type of curriculum do you go by?  

I thank you for any advice that you may have.

wedding ticker

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

A Beka is great, but for that age its easy to just wing it for awhile.  You can also get books from the Dollar store for handwriting, numbers, and such.  I have flash cards with the alphabet on them that my 4yr old will put 3 letter words together to sound out.  Pinterest has great ideas for science projects and hands on arts.

TurboMom81
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Sounds great I may have to check out the Dollar store this weekend. Right now we are doing a letter a day. She seems to have trouble writing her letters. Makes me glad we pulled her out. I don't think they were teaching her ANYTHING!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM

We don't, my kids attend Montessori, but here's a bump for you!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I found a program on the Internet that I based it upon. I used workbooks and other things I found on the Internet.

momma1708
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I am doing that with my son, I have him signed up for abcmouse.com and then he and I work with flash card games together, and the work books. He gets very frustrated and so do I. Good thing I never became a teacher. He can write his name and he knows it when he sees it. He is very smart, I feel like he just doesn't want to show it to me. I am hoping he knows me than he is letting on. I find a lot of stuff on pinterest. My favorite that I follow is In Lieu on Preschool. There is a lot of stuff on there. I feel like I will be lucky if I can teach him the minimum that he needs to know for kindergarten. He and I are both hard headed. 

bekalynne440
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM
We are a homeschooling family, but our oldest is just 3.5 (4 in April). We do a mixture. I'm using a combination of hooked on phonics and bob books to teach letter sounds and beginning reading. We use workbooks we've collected (dollar tree, Walmart, craft store, and some given to us) for pre writing and tracing letters, as well as math. We talk a lot about different topics, watch videos sometimes (like our video about trains), and I get a lot of ideas from Pinterest.
BramblePatch
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM
DD(4) just finshed a preschool program from Christian Liberty Press (loved it, but pretty basic) and is moving to Memoria Press Jr. Kindergarten in a week or so. DS(5) is using the 1st grade curriculum kit from Christian Liberty Press, Prima Latina from Memoria Press, and First Favorites from Veritas Press.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
We aren't doing preschool and dont really have any curriculum we use. My son is 5 and reading so i must be doing something right. Lol
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Our son (he's now in kindergarten) never went to preschool, we just taught him at home. I never really saw it as homeschooling, just teaching him things that we thought were important before he started school. We didn't go by any specific curriculum, just taught him how to read, write his letters, shapes, colors, how to behave in a classroom (sharing, taking turns, sitting quietly and listening, etc.).

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM

You can also google "free handwriting sheets for preschoolers" and print off all kinds of things plus color sheets to go with it!

A letter a week is best!  It will reinforce the sound as well as the shape for the entire week.  Do NOT worry about doing the letters in order (A to Z).  Do easy ones first.....such as T or O or something along those lines.  Also, get the foamy bath letters and 'play' with them in the tub.  When you are done with alphabet do the numbers.  

Quoting TurboMom81:

Sounds great I may have to check out the Dollar store this weekend. Right now we are doing a letter a day. She seems to have trouble writing her letters. Makes me glad we pulled her out. I don't think they were teaching her ANYTHING!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)