Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Does your toddler do this as well?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 24 Replies
When it comes time for clean up. My 3yr old always has some excuse as to why she can't clean up. It's always because she's tired, or her leg/arms hurt. Or her favorite excuse is because she's still playing. No clue where she picked this up from. Just want to fix it.:-/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shelhead
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I have that issue to, but not too frequently. If he refuses to clean up, then I don't allow the next activity and will take it as soon as he grabs it. Or if he's hungry, I'll fix his plate of food, but put it out of reach until he cleans up. If its before bedtime and he claims he's too tired I'll say we'll I guess you're too tired toread stories too Right? That usually gets him picking up stuff. Once I told him if he didn't pick up I'd take whatever that item was. i had to clean up his legos sprawled over the floor along with his paper and all 64 crayons. and boy was he mad at me, but he got better at cleaning up after so I only have to threaten it now. If you help along side her and sing a song or something fun, she will probably be more likely to pick up her toys. 

Aleta775
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I make cleaning up part of her tasks on her chore chart. She can't earn a star if she doesn't clean up. I LOVE those stars. I can get her to do a lot to earn her stars. :) 

When she has earned a certain number she is given a reward. 

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh yeah,  my DD says "I can't right now, I'm busy".  I know she gets this from me because I'm constantly having to say "hang on" to them as each of them will ask me to complete 8 tasks AT ONCE.  I just start counting 1-2-3 and she complies by 2.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Yup...lol

So I will say "Then I will pick your blocks up and I will put them in time-out"

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Oh yeah,  my DD says "I can't right now, I'm busy".  I know she gets this from me because I'm constantly having to say "hang on" to them as each of them will ask me to complete 8 tasks AT ONCE.  I just start counting 1-2-3 and she complies by 2.

lol

I get the I'm too busy as well!

NiCo86
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL my little does that ALL the time!! "I caaaaaan't mommy my legs are tired!" or "Don't worry, we'll get it tomorrow" lol or my favorite "will you carry me? my arm is broken." LOL

Kids say the darndest things!

msjoecool
by Crissy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM

The five-year-old pulls the tired nonsense.  The two-year-old just says no and then eventually does it anyway.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

lamommy23
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM

lol my daughter tries that on me too but she will clean if i sing the clean up song with her you can try that

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Oh yeah. My son used to fall in the floor claiming his leg hurt and going as far as limping around. His most recent is that he us still playing even If he hadn't been for over an hour
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Lol! My 4 year old dd did this at 3. "My legs are broken Mommy" or "But that will make the toys sad" or "If you make me clean up it will break my heart!" We started setting a timer (the kind she can hear ticking) and say you have 10 minutes (or however much time we feel is reasonable) until the timer goes off. If it goes off and your toys aren't picked up then you will get a consequence (sometimes we say what that will be and sometimes, usually if we're still thinking of one, we don't). It works great for her and for her little sister as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN