Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Is this to much of a punishment?!?!?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 46 Replies

So my 3 year old son decides to throw a fit today when we go to walmart. I tell him to calm down, and when that does not work, I put him in the cart to sit with his 2 year old sister. He then continues to be roudy and not listen, so I take his candy he picked out and put it back. This starts a full on tantrum of screaming and crying! I tried to ignore him as I went back to customer service to finish what I was doing, meanwhile everyone we pass just stares at us... Once I finished at customer service we left and went home. I told him he lost his privlege of going to Mc donalds and playing on the play place, and we were going straight home and he would take a nap... I had other things I NEEDED to get like diapers, wipes, juice, ect... and I was really upset that I had to leave on account of my 3 year old!! But I figured other people really didint need to endure all of his screaming... Do you think that I was too hard on him?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissLydie
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
5 moms liked this

Nope as long as you still fed him at home you are good.... McDs and candy are privilages, not nessecities!

momma2b2008
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Nope not at all!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mollymae09
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Nope! Sounds exactly like what i would do. good job mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Nope, that's just what I would have done.  My only note was:  did you warn him he would lose his candy if he didn't quiet down or did you just take it away and then tell him it was gone? 

adiggs87
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I did warn him about getting it taken away, also had warned him about the Mcdonalds thing too... the nap thing I just kinda sprung on him last minute...

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Nope, that's just what I would have done.  My only note was:  did you warn him he would lose his candy if he didn't quiet down or did you just take it away and then tell him it was gone? 

Shelhead
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Not too harsh.
michellej428
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope!! I don't care what other people think so I would have continued to ignore him and get the rest of the other stuff I needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM
How is that hard on him?. I would of left immediately but otherwise you did the exact right thing. Nor only did you teach him a lesson but his sister as well. If you keep it up chances are you won't have to repeat it but maybe once more. If he starts to ramp up again get to his eye level ans calmly and quietly ask him if he wants go home to bed. When he says no then tell him either he stop it right now or that is what happens and follow through immediately. Once or twice and chances are you will never have to deal with it again.
momto1ryen
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Dd did this once in Walmart and the same age. I was so angry I could feel my heart beating faster. She never pulled anything like that before and I was floored she was behaving that way so I feel for you. To answer you no, you weren't to hard on him at all. If you would have rewarded him with McD's all that says is he can behave that way and still get rewards and he'll remember that next time. Good job momma!

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Heck no. You did great!! If it was my kid i woulda wooped that butt too whether it be in the store or at home.Usually we also throw in the nose in the corner when we get home.Aint nobody gonna tell me how to dicipline my kid and whether its right or wrong. Dont worry about all those people in walmart. If they have really had kids then they should understand. If they havent then they can all take there butt and go about their buisness. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN