Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Help!

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 6 Replies
I have a 2 year old daughter and she's my only child. I've spoiled her a little since she's my first. Im having trouble disciplining her. When I tell her she can't have what she wants she becomes very angry and pitches or slaps me. Sometimes yell at me. I tried punishing her but it doesn't work. What should I do to get her on the right track?
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Keep on it. Her job is to push you. Your job is to set limits and stick to them. If you give in even once you make next time that much harder. Discipline is love. Children CRAVE boundaries. They push them to make sure they are solid and, when they are, that gives them security. When they fluctuate it provides chaos for them because they don't know what to expect.

If she hits you or gets physical, put her right in timeout every single time. If she yells ignore her until she calms down. For my kids if they raise their voices or don't use their manners I say "try again" and wait until they speak appropriately for the situation. Admittedly timeouts don't work for every kid, that's just what we use, so hopefully others will have other creative suggestions for discipline.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I agree with pp. The main thing is to never ever give into a tantrum and don't make threats you aren't ready to follow through with!

Shelhead
by Michelle on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I totally agree with previous 2 posters. We follow the book 1-2-3 magic for disciplining kids starting around 2 and its an easy read and effective.

LML1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Nip it in the bud now. Be assertive when you say, No that is not nice, it hurts. Kiddo needs to learn how to appologize for her actions. For my three year old if she would bite me for some reason. She would have to put her nose in the corner and toes on the baseboard and has to count until 40. When she gets to 40 and still doesn't have a happy heart (and apologize for her actions) she has to continue counting until she does have a happy heart. So far that works for us. Our doctor made a good point. When she's in time out she's not allowed to see you the kiddo needs to be isolated for that time.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Pick a disciplinary tactic and stick with it.  Do NOT let her get away with that or you will find yourself with a 12 year old who still thinks it's okay to hit you when she doesn't get her way!

divinemomma
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM

You have to be consistent regarding discipline. The discipline has to be age appropriate. I have some great articles that give good parenting advice on PDF. PM me withyour email and i'll send attachment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)