Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Don't put that in the trash!

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:20 AM
  • 13 Replies

So my 3 year old is learning how to clear off the table after dinner. Napkins and empty juice boxes go in the trash. Well now that she's sick she only wants to drink out of juice boxes... Okay but she can't throw them away when they are not all the way empty. So we're been telling her that when she throws after 1/2 full juice boxes in the trash she's throwing dollars away. That's a big no no in our house. Idk... Do you think a 3 yr old can understand being wasteful?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Nope, not really. We have fought that battle too. Just stay on top of her and explain that if there is some left it goes in the fridge for later. My son used to throw parts of his lunch away at school and it pissed me off. Then he would come home asking for food cuz he was hungry. After 8000 reminders he started bringing it home. He was probably 4ish or maybe even 5 at that point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LML1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Nope, not really. We have fought that battle too. Just stay on top of her and explain that if there is some left it goes in the fridge for later. My son used to throw parts of his lunch away at school and it pissed me off. Then he would come home asking for food cuz he was hungry. After 8000 reminders he started bringing it home. He was probably 4ish or maybe even 5 at that point.
I'm concerned about that too. Our prek gives out 3 snacks a day so we have cut back on what we give her in her lunch... Like we give her a yogurt, cheese stick, crackers, and jc box. I'm not sure she they (the teachers) allow her to throw anything that is 1/2 eaten way just so she doesn't have to bring it home.,,, I guess that's one thing I'll ask at teacher conferences.

CafeMom Tickers

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:30 AM

He sort of does, but not all the way. He's 3 after all and he is still learning. I have to specifically tell him where things go and when not to get rid of them. Even my 6 and 9 year olds sometimes mess this up. 

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM
At four, it can go the other way.... My son would put cups in the fridge that had a table spoon of liquid in it. I'd find four to five basically empty cups/boxes in the fridge everyday . So after teaching him not to waste, I had actually mark his cups with a sharpie and show him at or above was to be saved, below could be tossed. :-) you gotta teach them every little step.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM
No, I don't they she's going to get that it's wasting money. That's pretty abstract. I think you just have to keep telling her that juice left over is juice she can have later... And then keep an eye out to help remind her each time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM

No, I don't think a 3 year old can fully grasp this. I would just point out that there's still juice in the box and take it away before she clears the table.  She will understand eventually.

LML1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I sure hope so,  b/c I bought her a band new pair of dora shoes. She wore them once, now we can't find of other shoe.... Sears won't sell me one shoe lol I know it went in the trash can. Ugg

Quoting sophiesmom07:

No, I don't think a 3 year old can fully grasp this. I would just point out that there's still juice in the box and take it away before she clears the table.  She will understand eventually.

CafeMom Tickers

almondpigeon
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Quoting hollydaze1974:

At four, it can go the other way.... My son would put cups in the fridge that had a table spoon of liquid in it. I'd find four to five basically empty cups/boxes in the fridge everyday . So after teaching him not to waste, I had actually mark his cups with a sharpie and show him at or above was to be saved, below could be tossed. :-) you gotta teach them every little step.

Mine do this too! They even try to put 1/2 of a pizza crust or the last bite of a sandwich.
Gweneveer
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

My kids dont get it.  lol.  

militlady
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My son will not throw any food away. He says "We don't throw food away right mama." He won't even throw away a dum dum. He puts it in the fridge until later. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN