Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How do I prepare my 2 1/2 year old tough little boy for the new baby?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

I would like some advice on getting my toddler ready for the new baby that is gonna be here any day. my son is very energetic and he likes to wrestle so im affraid hes gonna want to be rough with the baby. we've tried explaining to him that he needs to gentle and sweet to the baby but im still a little concerned about him jumping or trying to be rough with the baby or just not accepting him.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
EskimoKisses4Me
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:07 AM
1 mom liked this

We gave him a baby doll, I know some people don't like the idea of boys playing with dolls but it worked for us!! Just give him the doll and teach him how to hold the baby, feed the baby, whatever you are comfortable with him doing with the actual baby, teach him to do with the doll.. If he does something that would hurt the baby tell him and show him how to do it right so he knows and he can see how to do it.. Just let him know that he can be a part of taking care of the new baby.. It didn't take the Little One to long to get the hang of being a Big Brother.. And once the baby was here, the doll was forgoten because he had a new "doll" he could play with.. Lol..

You may not like this idea, but that's all I've got.. Good luck!!

hriabywx4
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:41 AM
^^what she said! Role playing is a great way to teach things.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I don't really do anything to prepare my kids to be honest.  We haven't had any issues.

BoBoMama08
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

We haven't really done a lot. We talk about what she gets to as a big sister (i.e.: "does baby sister get to eat pizza? NO! Does big sister get to? YES!) It helps make her feel big :) Otherwise we just ask for her help for preparing things and to be "gentle" with my belly - which I am hoping translates when baby is here in a few weeks.

carmen_6410
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Thanks everyone!! :)
Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM

we were worried about DS1 being the same when DS2 arrived, we included him in EVERYTHING that had to do with baby from the minute we found out so that he knew there was a baby coming. Then once baby got here he only really wanted to hold him. He doesn't wrestle anymore and is very gentle around his brother.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I agree with the doll thing. When the baby comes, lead by example. Show him now how to handle the doll. Pretend it's the real baby. My girls are super rough too, but they're a bit older so they understand to be nice to the baby when he/she comes, but we've been showing them with the dolls.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
ATG499
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM
You're just now starting to prepare him? That's all bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carmen_6410
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM
No we've been trying since we found out I was but he would leave or turn around; its just now though that he's been saying where's my little brother and actually showing that he knows theirs a baby in my belly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)