Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Potty Training

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am having problems with my son who is 4. He is fully potty trained but refuses to wipe his own butt. Is this pretty common with other peoples kids? Any ideas to help get him over it? Help Please!

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

i have trouble having my daughter not touch herself when she is wiping. We get a hand full of crap sometimes.lol. They will learn. Give it time

melgross
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Is it normal for them not to even want to try? He will sit on the toilet and cry if we try to even attempt for him to do it all by him self. He tells me its mom and dads job to wipe. I have tried to assist him while whiping but he just fights me. We been doing this battle for over a year now. 

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Yeah, my son just started wiping this year cuz he has no choice in public K.  I preferred wiping him anway to ensure he's clean.  My DD doesn't tell us when she poops and she's HORRIBLE at wiping herself.  I find out she's pooped when I change her underwear and see the mess.  Luckily her poops are small so it's not a lot but it's still gross (she's 3 1/2).  I would give anything for her to let me wipe her!

He's still young.  At 4 I would still wipe him but if you want to force him to get over it then just don't do it for him.  Let him sit there for an hour if he has too.  His butt will fall asleep eventually and he'll give in :)

melgross
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Its not that I dont mind doing it for him, like you said he started school and that is something they ask kids do. Its good to know other kids about his age are doing the same. My friends have there kids in pull ups so its hard to get advice from them on tips to help him get over whiping his own butt. I even assist him on how to, maybe its just a phobia of getting poo on his hands?

PEEK05
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I don't know.  My pediatrician said it's fairly normal for girls to not wipe properly until they are about 6 but my daughter will be 4 next month and wipes fantastically so who knows.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)