Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

bedsharing with a newborn when you have a toddler?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM
  • 12 Replies
I bedshared with DD (3.5). I loved it. I would like to bedshare with my son when he comes but I'm not sure if it'll work. Dd quit sleeping in the bed with me at eight months but after I found out I was pregnant she started wanting to sleep with me again. I don't know how I can bedshare with our son without her being jealous or feeling pushed to the side. Any of you went through this? Suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM
You can do other special things with just your dd to make her feel special. My sin slept next to me until 6 months. Then at 4 i had dd who slept next to me until 10 months and he was fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
japanmommy
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Haha, I'm reading this with my four month old on one side and my almost three year old in the other. You just make it work. I tell my son that I need to feed/get sissy asleep then I'll snuggle him. Most nights it works well others not so much but eventually we're all sleeping :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2casidee
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Our bed is against the wall. Youngest sleeps against wall than me than oldest than husband. Never had any problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Out bed is against the wall. My 4 month old sleeps by the wall, then me, then my 3yo, then dh. Occasionally my 5yo climbs in too. He usually climbs in and sleeps at the bottom of the bed by my feet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I thought it wasn't recommended to co-sleep with multiple children when one is under a certain age?

Ktstewart1
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM
We have a cal king and just added a twin mattress next to it so we could all bed share so ds4 sleeps on the twin then daddy then ds2 then me then the baby haha we all make it work! Just keep adding mattresses!
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe it's safe to bedshare with an infant, so we don't do it.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM
If you want her in her own room, I'd start that process now and not link the reason to the baby. Kind of like how you shouldn't move a toddler from the crib telling them its not for them anymore cause the baby needs it. <------- that's the perfect way to set them up for sibling rivalry.

So if you want her in her own bed, just do that. Pretend it has nothing to do with the baby. And once baby is here, and she asks, you can tell her that she also got to sleep with you when she was a baby. It's not about you liking one more than the other, it's just how it is. Babies wear diapers, drink milk and sleep by their mommas.

If you aren't worried about getting her out of your room, I'd set her up on a cot or a mattress on the floor now. Again, don't tie it to the baby.

I bed share with my newborns too. So while I believe in it, I do strongly believe that you have to follow the safety rules. (My husbands niece killed her 2 month old by sleeping with her on a couch). And bed sharing with a infant and older sibling is not safe IMO. So if it were me, I'd get her out of your bed asap so she didn't associate being moved with the baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeeDee205
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I bed shared with my oldest.  She was almost 2 when I had my second.  Sadly, I couldn't bed share as much with the baby, but I nursed her and would put her right back in the bassinet that was next to me.  She's now 13 mo and sleeps much better in her crib than my older one did.  Kind of glad it worked out that way.  I sleep much better too without worrying about rolling on a baby.

Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM
I assumed so I'm asking others opinions to see if there are other options without making dd feel cast away.

Quoting CLEKate:

I thought it wasn't recommended to co-sleep with multiple children when one is under a certain age?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN