Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I need advice encouragement anything y'all can give

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM
  • 20 Replies

I am the momma of a beautiful 21 month old, She was working hard on transition from baby bed to toddler bed and she was also starting to potty train. I am about to give birth to my second child and we have been talking up the new baby to her and now she has no interest in her big girl bed or the potty now. I feel so bad that she is going backwards so to speak. I don't know what to do to help her, anyone have any ideals?

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:47 PM
21 months is on the early side for both potty train and transitioning to a toddler bed. I'd follow her lead at this point and put a hold on potty training and move her back to the crib, if possible. If the new baby will need the crib, I don't really have any advice for you, since my son was 2 1/2 when he transitioned to a twin bed without a problem. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM
That's a lot of change for a 21 month old. I'd pick one thing to work on. I agree with the pp, she's still on the young side for either of those things. I'd take a break and follow her lead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I agree with both of the PP. I understand where you're coming from with wanting her to "grow up" a little before the new baby comes, but she's still a baby herself.

You won't be needing the crib for awhile, so why not let her stay in there? I've always believed that it's not a good idea to take things away from one child to give to the other. In her mind, she might be thinking that she can't sleep in her bed because the baby is taking it away from her.

Patience is best with potty training. You need to follow her lead. If she's not wanting to do it, give it a month or so and try again. It will be much easier for the both of you if you don't push it.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Potty training when about to give birth is generally a bad idea.  You are seeing that regression and when the baby gets here it'll probably get even worse.  I would just stop that right now and focus on the transition of the new baby.  Of course don't hinder her potty training.  If she asks to use the potty, definitely encourage it but as far as formal training, lay low.   

I also waited to 2 1/2 to move my kids to their big beds so if you can hold off, do so unless you have to have that crib from day 1.

Good luck and congrats on your new addition!

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this

when you give birth, give a present to your daughter from the baby.  My 5 yr old still remembers that her 2.5 yr old baby sister gave her that toy.  I read mine a book that had various pregnant animals and then the last page had Mommy with a baby in her belly.  I also got her big sister shirts and talked her up about how she will be able to teach her and also be Mommy's little helper.  She was 2,5 at the time her sister was born. 

Kim042269
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:28 AM

21 months is early for that stuff, esp for potty training, and the introduction of any kind of change to the family can cause stress and insecurity. That's a whole lot for anyone to take at one time, much less a baby. I think, lighten up, back off,  reassure her frequently, and worry about that stuff later.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I would wait a couple months after the baby is here but that's just me.  Good luck.

emarin77
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

They say if a child cannot climb out of their crib they are not ready for a toddler bed.  It might also have to do with you having another child.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

what they said. here's a bump. congrats on the new baby.

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I agree with the other comments that waiting for the potty training and new bed could be a wise move.  I am about to have a second baby myself and have been reading up and regression is very normal for the older child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)