Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! Toddler Chewing Nails...

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 4 Replies

I need advice to help get my 2 year old to stop chewing her nails.  Its really bad and she chews both toes and fingers to the point where they bleed.  A lot of people are saying hot sauce but if she rubs her eyes it will get in there.  Dh and I are trying to hard and we tell her to stop anytime we see it but its not helping.  I have thought about doing mini mani and pedis on her but the one time we did she bit them...  Maybe I can try again though... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AnGLInterrupted
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

They have a stuff that you can buy that you put on her nails and it makes them taste bad to where she doesn't want to do that again.

I'm sure there are other brands of this thing and you can buy it at walmart or any pharmacy or beauty type store.  :)  I found this one at Sally's Beauty Supply.  Good luck.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

i was a nail biter/thumb sucker.  the gross nail polish did nothing to stop me.  i just had to outgrow it.  i heard that nail biting is actually genetic.  my son is also a nail biter (he's 6 now and not as bad as he was as a toddler).  when i see it, i just say "hands out" and it reminds him.  otherwise it's subconscious. 

MommaBoop922
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Funny you say that because dh is a nail biter big time and I am always telling him to lead by example lol... I will keep up with the reminders and hope that is helps some too.  Thanks for your post! 

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

i was a nail biter/thumb sucker.  the gross nail polish did nothing to stop me.  i just had to outgrow it.  i heard that nail biting is actually genetic.  my son is also a nail biter (he's 6 now and not as bad as he was as a toddler).  when i see it, i just say "hands out" and it reminds him.  otherwise it's subconscious. 

PEEK05
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

What about vinegar? The taste should put her off without hurting her eyes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)