Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 2 Year Old Is Acting Funky!!!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

Up until this point, My 2 year old Mason has been really excited about being a big brother, now he's not. He won't come up to me and touch my belly, he cries when I hold him, he doesn't want to be around me. He's been gravitating closer to my mom and BF, plus his uncle Ryan. He even said "No Baby For Me". I have my csection friday and he's going to be staying with family while I am in the hospital. He will be coming up to the hospital when Charlie arrives, but I am wondering how he is going to react? is this normal?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

my son didn't do that but that's not to say other kids don't.  he's anticipating a ton of change.  your activity level has probably changed from being so pg, you look different and i'm sure everyone is talking about the new baby and making preparations for your csection as well as the baby coming home.  he's just reacting to that.  all you can do is ride it out and see how it goes.  our daughter "bought" our son a scooter when she came home for being the best big brother ever.  he's 6 now and still knows that sissy gave him that scooter.

with that said, there will be adjustment regardless of whether it's now or in 6 months or a year.  all kids express it differently.  just be patient and compassionate and give him so many loves.  his whole life is changing and he has no concept of how to process that.  he'll get thru it but it doesn't mean it'll be easy. 

my pedi told us to give our son SOOOOOOOOOO much extra attention when the baby wasn't around BUT when she was in the room he was to be treated as any other member of the family.

good luck with your csection and congrats on your new LO!!!!

ZakkarysMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats normal. My son went through that. And after his little brother was born he started to regress and act like a baby himself. Just make sure you include him after baby is born. Have him get you diapers when you have to change the baby. Ask him if he wants to help feed him.(if you bottle feed lol) Let him know what a big helper he is. It will take time for him to adjust. Be patient with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It will be okay. He will need some adustment time, but he will adjust.  He is almost 3 so it will be a bit easier. Just be patient and work with him.

Thelmama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Oh and get books about being a big brother etc.

Cheyennesmommy4
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM

He will be 3 in March. We've gotten him books on being a big brother, he reads them and understands. He's been really excited up to this point, then he just stopped.

Quoting Thelmama:

Thelmama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

It's okay just keep doing the same thing. My kids all had adjustments when their younger sibling was born, regressed some etc. But we just kept working with it and talking about how they were the big kid.  Try to make some special time just for the big kid the baby can't do. Like make cut out cookies and let him cut out the shapes, babies can't do it but big boys can. Also google it, how to help kids adjust to new baby. It can give you lots of ideas.  Do crafts with him, let him make a "dream catcher " for him and the baby. Paper plate, string,feathers etc. of course you will hang it where the baby can't get it but it does help them to make stuff for the baby. Let him make a "big brother shirt" and a littlle brother shirt" Get fabric paints and let him decorate how he wants and then write the words Big brother and little brother on them.  It will help.  Just hang in there

picture of "dream catcher" or google it "Preschool dream catcher craft"

Quoting Cheyennesmommy4:

He will be 3 in March. We've gotten him books on being a big brother, he reads them and understands. He's been really excited up to this point, then he just stopped.

Quoting Thelmama:

Cheyennesmommy4
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM

At first he was totally all about it and wanting to help me and be an awesome big brother. He even made things for the room. Now he just wants nothing to do with me. I've been giving him extra attention and extra treats to make him feel better but even that doesn't help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)