Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MY SON CHOOSES TO STARVE

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM
  • 46 Replies
I HAVE A 2 yEAR OLD SON WHO IS A VERY PICKY EATER. THERE ARE SOME DAYS LIKE TODAY WHERE HE ONLY EATS TWICE A DAY. I GIVE HIM OPTIONS BUT HE SEEMS NOT INTERESTED. WHAT CAN I DO SO HE CAN EAT . HIS DOCTOR SAID HE SHOULD EAT EVERY 2 HOURS. 3 MEALS AND 3 SNACKS.
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM
What is he not wanting to eat?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Interesting, my dr said a half of a pb sandwich has enough protien to sustain a toddler if a daily vitamin is given.
My two and a hAlf year old eats three meals and one snack. Dr orders are so different. Where is he on the wieght chart? It doesn't sound like picky, sounds like control.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this

my son some days hardly eats anything, and other days eats a lot. you can't really force them to eat so I just offer and let him choose. unless there is a medical issue, they know when they are hungry.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Bump

ROxCSi
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:39 AM
HOMEMADE FOOD. I USUALLY JUST BUY PREP FOOD BUT HE RATHER EAT OUTSIDE FOOD. HE DOES EAT FATTENING FOODS LIKE PIZZA CHIPS HAPPY MEAL, BUT I DO GIVE IN I KNOW ITS A BAD WAY TO GO BUT I RATHER LET HIM EAT THAT THAN TO STARVE. I GUESS IN A WAY HE IS CONTROLLING ME AND I AM WEAK. SOME DAYS WE DONT HAVE MONEY TO SPEND ON OUTSIDE FOOD AND THATS WHEN WE EAT HOMEMADE FOOD.
ROxCSi
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:44 AM
1 mom liked this
HE WEIGHS 27 POUNDS IS 22 MONTHS. I TRIED OFFERING HIM PB SANWHICHES BUT HE DOES NOT LIKE THEM.. HE HAS HAD HIS IRON LEVELS LOW MULTIPLE OF TIMES BUT ALWAYS MANAGED TO GET HIS IRON BACK UP.
squeakers2
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM
There are days when my 3 yr old will only eat once or twice. We offer food, but she just doesn't want to eat. She is also on medications that can cause loss of appetite and nausea. We give vitamins so she is getting some nutrients. She weighs 30lbs soaking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM
My 3 1/2 year old has been picky since about 18 months. I finally now have a list of 13 things she will eat. Including some fruit. Its about persistence and routine. I make 3 meals a day, I ALWAYS offer a fruit or veggie..by offer I mean it goes on the plate. If she doesnt eat it, then fine. But its there. We dont eat out often, never fast food. Its incredibly unhealthy and teaches bad eating habits.

If my dd wont eat what I make for dinner, thats it shes done. No other option. She gets a vitamin every morning and pediasure 3x a week until the doctor feels she can sustain a healthy weight on what she eats alone. I also chart everything she eats.

I dont let her have any control over me. She eats meals and snacks at a designated time. It rarely changes by more than 30 mins. I keep the whole routine the same.

Also im trying food chaining. Im still looking into it but I think it sounds promising. Ive tried 2 other techniques similar so we shall see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is 2 also and she is the same way.  I doubt he is starving though.  If he were truly hungry, he would eat!

JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I have 2 two year olds and a 3 year old... some days they knock out a dozen eggs and a whole loaf of bread, and other days it feels like they ate one sandwich between them all day long. 

Offer a variety of healthy options, make sure he has plenty of water and don't stress about it at the end of the day. 

When we first got our kids they were soooooo malnourished that it really was a concern when they did not eat much during the day, so we started mixing toddler formula with their milk and on days they did not eat much we gave them a cup of formula at the end of the day. 

Now that they are back on the charts we don't sweat too much when they don't eat a lot during the day...they are still growing, still developing and generally make up for it the next day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)