Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What Is Your Budget For?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 38 Replies

Back to School shopping?

My little one just got accepted to a private school and she will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. We are obviously right around tax season and I wanted to know about how much the average person spends on a Kindergartener. They do not have school uniforms, so her regular day wardrobe would also be her school wardrobe. How much should I spend on clothes? They will have a supply list (heard it's pretty standard). She is currently in Prek 2 days a week and we didn't have to buy supplies at all aside from a back pack. She is going to be packing a lunch also so I know we will need to buy a lunchbox. 

Any suggestions on how much to put back for Back To School Shopping (or for us first time school shopping!)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I don't know :/.  I get my son things randomly, but when he started Kindergarten, they offered us school supply packets for $25.  I just had a baby and coudln't get out of hte house much, so I opted for this since it was easy and ready-packed.  I actually bought two of them......one for him and another for a child that may not come with anything.

But I could imagine on your own it would get pricey.  I'd expect to spend about $25-$40 on them.

mommy053008
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM

oh that's an awesome option I wish they'd do something like that for hers lol. I wonder what the best place for school supply shopping would be.

how many pairs of shoes did your little one go through? i hear the playgrounds can be tough on shoes.

Quoting corrinacs:

I don't know :/.  I get my son things randomly, but when he started Kindergarten, they offered us school supply packets for $25.  I just had a baby and coudln't get out of hte house much, so I opted for this since it was easy and ready-packed.  I actually bought two of them......one for him and another for a child that may not come with anything.

But I could imagine on your own it would get pricey.  I'd expect to spend about $25-$40 on them.

kjbugsmom1517
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
We buy whats on the list, when supplies r cheap. We generally do not splurge on clothes since school in general is hard on clothes. My oldest had holes in every pair of jeans by thanksgiving. So if ya can save money by doing 2nd hand id do that. Generally shoes need replaced at about jan/feb. My daughter is hard on her shoes. And until they r falling apart/have holes (dont keep feet dry) then i dont replace them. We simply do make do with what we have. If i could afford it both kids would start with 2 pairs of shoes. But we simply cant so we get one and replace them as needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I know, I was really lucky, as I was NOT looking foward to shopping really. 

As for best place, I'd choose Target.  Will it start right when publuc schools start?  I'd go in when they first get the school supplies section open I(before its busy) and get what you need :).  Most likely stick glue, crayons, etc.

And for shoes, I got my son two pairs at the beginning of the school year.  He wore one pair nearly every day and those are getting to thier last leg.....he just started wearing the other pair.  I got him a 3rd pair for Christmas, but in a size up......he jst "sprouts" on us.  One day his clothes and shoes fit.....the next they don't.  And with shoes, he won't tell us for AGES until he's limping and saying his toes hurt LOL

Quoting mommy053008:

oh that's an awesome option I wish they'd do something like that for hers lol. I wonder what the best place for school supply shopping would be.

how many pairs of shoes did your little one go through? i hear the playgrounds can be tough on shoes.

Quoting corrinacs:

mommy053008
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

She has her 5th birthday coming up in May. I was thinking we would buy her two pair of shoes as presents for her to wear to Kindergarten and she would get a few outfits to hold back for school as well. She is going to get a kids tablet for her to use whenever (that will be like her only present she can use) but she is going to get a bunch of presents so I think we will be good. I was planning on shopping pretty cheap for clothes she's into dresses and skirts mainly so at least for the warmer months that's pretty much all she is going to wear. As far as prek has gone she hasn't been too terrible on clothes, now shoes that's a whole other story. 

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

We buy whats on the list, when supplies r cheap. We generally do not splurge on clothes since school in general is hard on clothes. My oldest had holes in every pair of jeans by thanksgiving. So if ya can save money by doing 2nd hand id do that. Generally shoes need replaced at about jan/feb. My daughter is hard on her shoes. And until they r falling apart/have holes (dont keep feet dry) then i dont replace them. We simply do make do with what we have. If i could afford it both kids would start with 2 pairs of shoes. But we simply cant so we get one and replace them as needed.

mommy053008
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Sounds like a typical kid. My daughter still tries to squeeze her too big feet into her bella ballerinas that's she's over a size too big for. I am going to sneak them out of her cloest and toss them soon those things are down to the bone. 

I already have the supply list but they base which supplies you buy off which K teacher you have. So I won't know that til the end of July. =( I am a SAHM now (thankfully) so I am planning on going shopping during the day when most people are at work/school. 

Quoting corrinacs:

I know, I was really lucky, as I was NOT looking foward to shopping really. 

As for best place, I'd choose Target.  Will it start right when publuc schools start?  I'd go in when they first get the school supplies section open I(before its busy) and get what you need :).  Most likely stick glue, crayons, etc.

And for shoes, I got my son two pairs at the beginning of the school year.  He wore one pair nearly every day and those are getting to thier last leg.....he just started wearing the other pair.  I got him a 3rd pair for Christmas, but in a size up......he jst "sprouts" on us.  One day his clothes and shoes fit.....the next they don't.  And with shoes, he won't tell us for AGES until he's limping and saying his toes hurt LOL

Quoting mommy053008:

Quoting corrinacs:

ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

School supplies can add up fast. For clothes just get what she needs when she needs it. Lunch box between $10-$15. And for the other supplies depending on what they ask for of course but I spent around $80 for what they asked for. And you may want to get reusable containers for her lunch box as well.

mommy053008
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

so does 250$ sound okay for supplies, back pack, lunch box, some clothes and maybe a pair of shoes? Of course she already has a few things she will need a folder and a notebook.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

School supplies can add up fast. For clothes just get what she needs when she needs it. Lunch box between $10-$15. And for the other supplies depending on what they ask for of course but I spent around $80 for what they asked for. And you may want to get reusable containers for her lunch box as well.

ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM

To me it sounds like more than enough.

Quoting mommy053008:

so does 250$ sound okay for supplies, back pack, lunch box, some clothes and maybe a pair of shoes? Of course she already has a few things she will need a folder and a notebook.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

mommy053008
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

thank so much. i like to budget out what we are using our taxes for so i will just take out the 250 and put it in a separate account. and if i have money left over then i will take her to lunch/dinner after we shop. (:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

To me it sounds like more than enough.

Quoting mommy053008:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)