Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you use baby speak?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:59 AM
  • 154 Replies
1 mom liked this

If your little one is talking, or at the age they should be talking, do you still use baby speak? 

Not so much in this group (I am new here lol), but I have had many friends over the years that have had kids, and newer friends with lil ones, and it always boggled my mind that they would use and continue to use baby speak even as their child goes into kindergarten. 

Baby speak is fine, and even helpful during the first year or so of life. However, once a child reaches the age of speach (normally between 12mos and 15 mos) it is recommended that baby speak is cut out. Using proper words not only helps the child identify an object, person, place etc with the proper name, but it actually helps their speech along.

This does not mean that suddenly their vocabulary will increase in greater amounts, but it will help them speak clearly, and helps in their education.

Obviously this is a generalization as there are many things to take into account. Was your child born prematurely? Are there other issues going on in their lives or other diagnosis that play a part in their development? Those are just a few questions that will help a parent decide if baby speak is still needed or not. And obviously (again) no one knows another's child better than the child's parents. :) 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ImNotKarl
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM
8 moms liked this

We didn't really use baby speak ever. We STILL do goofy voices when we're playing, like a bad Transylvanian accent when I'm being vampire mommy, or the tickle monster voice, or the zombie mumble (Wow. We play a lot of morbid games.), and when my son was an infant (He's 2 now), we'd do exaggerated voices when we were happy, or acting sad. We've always used the right words and correct grammar and phrasing and such, and pronounced things correctly. Baby talk just seems like it would inhibit more than help.

villagemamma
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I have never really been a baby talk kind mom. i have a hard time keeping a straight face when other mom do it. Though as my daughter learned to talk i did find myself calling certain things by whatever name she gave them or quoting funny phrases that she has. that still kinda counts as baby talk and occasionally i do let a dd word slip into conversations with normal people and usually get a laugh or two :P

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I always did and still do with my 2 year old nephew! He is my baby! I just love him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:57 AM

well i say potty for bathroom and fini for finish but other than that, I dont think so.

ejsmom4604
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Quoting ImNotKarl:

We didn't really use baby speak ever. We STILL do goofy voices when we're playing, like a bad Transylvanian accent when I'm being vampire mommy, or the tickle monster voice, or the zombie mumble (Wow. We play a lot of morbid games.), and when my son was an infant (He's 2 now), we'd do exaggerated voices when we were happy, or acting sad. We've always used the right words and correct grammar and phrasing and such, and pronounced things correctly. Baby talk just seems like it would inhibit more than help.

I couldn't help but laugh at the highlighted part. That makes sense :) . 

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this

we never really did baby speak..we did change our pitch for some things and make funny sounds but we have gernerally always spoke to our son like he could understand us from the start. I reserve the baby speak for the cat lol

ejsmom4604
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Quoting MixedCooke:

well i say potty for bathroom and fini for finish but other than that, I dont think so.

Yeah, potty makes sense. Heck I use that wether I am talking to my kids or not. One that comes to mind that I still use from when my oldest was little is "choci" (pronounced chaw-kee) for chocolate. There are usually a word or two that most people just won't let go of lol. 

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't. We never really did use baby talk though.

babowes
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

For a couple of words I still do...it is cute and they grow so fast....then you forget.

AnGLInterrupted
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I never used "baby talk" with dd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)